I used to be an interesting person.
I work in public relations, so I know a lot about what’s going on in the local communities and the city. I watch a lot of TV, so I’m well-versed in pop culture. I love theater, music, scrapbooking and philosophizing.
Yet these days I have nothing to talk about except infertility.
Friends ask what’s new in my life. I could share our adventures during our recent vacation to Florida, or talk about our continued work with our youth group at church. But instead, all I can think of is our struggles to have a child. And depending upon which friend or family member it is, they either a) don’t know we’ve been trying; b) already know, are probably sick of hearing about it and don’t really have much to say except they’re sorry; or c) already know and continue to feed my frantic obsessiveness by allowing me to go over the details yet one more time.
When did I become so self-indulgent?
When I psychoanalyze myself (yet another one of my hobbies), I realize that this is a pattern with me. I tend to dwell on the one thing in my life I wish I could change. When I was living in another city while planning a wedding with M, I fretted because I was ready quit my job and relocate to where he was living RIGHT THEN, rather than waiting until our marriage and the end of my lease. I was sick of my job and ready to move on to a new career. Then, when I finally moved to southeastern Wisconsin, I was frustrated because the job search was taking longer than I had planned. I thought to myself, All I want is a full-time job! And now, for about a year, I’ve been focused on having a child. At my church, there are very few “childless” married couples. I feel like “familyhood” is a club that I desperately want to be a part of, but which hasn’t yet accepted me as a member. So here I wait, in limbo.
Let me add here that I realize I haven’t been through nearly as much hell as many of you. I haven’t gone through multiple failed IVFs, or multiple miscarriages, or even had many cycles during which I could have legitimately gotten pregnant (actually, I’ve had one). But it’s fear that drives me. Fear that nothing short of injectables will allow me to reliably ovulate. Fear that we will break the bank trying IVF (I have very little infertility health insurance), and still won’t end up with a baby (or two). Fear that three or four years down the road, I will still be writing this blog about our attempts to start a family.
And that fear has taken over my thoughts so completely that I don’t have anything else to talk about.
I am no longer an interesting person.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I just found your blog and wanted to say welcome to the IF-blogging community, even though I do wish you didn't have to join us. I also have PCOS and am about to start my first Clomid round. I know what you mean about thinking about it all the time - it's so SO hard.
I think we all feel this way at times, but that interesting person is still there. Perhaps for now you can be that person on here, sharing interesting research, sharing your feelings in the creative way that you can, being a writer. Just don't beat yourself up for this. It's a huge deal you are dealing with.
Second,I can understand the fear, but injectibles are honestly nothing to be afraid of. They don't hurt - the needle is tiny. And with PCOS you will be on eensy micro doses to stop you from over stimulating, so you won't be injecting a huge volume.
Anyway, hopefully the bigger dose of clomid will help.
Post a Comment