A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The anxiety never stops

So here I am, waiting on another potentially upsetting call from my doctor.

I thought I was supposed to be finished with all these phone vigils.

We had our big ultrasound yesterday. The good news: All the major body parts appear to be accounted for and on schedule. The tech estimated my due date at five days prior to the date my OB gave me—allowing me to do a little I-told-you-so dance in my head, because I’ve thought my due date was a little late all along, even given my LMP. The bad news (which he was hesitant to tell me): My amniotic fluid appears to be a bit low. As in, it’s just below the lowest acceptable range. So, how much do you know about amniotic fluid? I sure as hell didn’t know much until I started frantically Googling after our appointment. It seems to me the worst case scenario is that there won’t be enough fluid floating around for our baby’s lungs to be able to develop in the next month or so. It also appears that low amniotic fluid could mean bed rest for the next five months.

Or it could not. According to our tech, the baby was lying on its side, which somehow made it difficult for the tech to measure fluid in all the four quadrants. In other words, our fluid level could be fine; the baby might just be coy about letting us see all the right stuff. Of course, being the Henny Penny that I am, I tend to focus on the uterus being half empty rather than half full, so I’m a bit anxious right now. To say the least. It will probably take at least two full days for the report to make its way to my OB, so I just have to sit tight until then. She may look at the report and not be concerned; she may call and want me to come in for an immediate repeat ultrasound; or she may want to check me out, but not until my next appointment in two weeks. I’m not sure which of the two latter options would be worse.

M isn’t as concerned as I am—which is probably good for my sanity. He thinks the uterus is half full. So I’m just trying to live my life and not study every bit of discharge that comes out of my nether regions, wondering if the fluid is slowly coming out of my uterus like air coming out of a tire with a leak in it.

Oh, and the gender? Well, yes, we found out what it is, but we’re keeping mum for now. The only person who knows is a co-worker (ironically, C) who was the first person to ask when I came back. I hadn’t yet decided to keep it a secret. She wanted me to call a stand-up staff meeting and announce the gender, but as I sat there fighting back tears, I realized I can’t handle all the well wishes just now. I would prefer to announce the gender when I’m feeling a bit more comfortable—or at least when I know more about what’s going on. So the gender is a secret between M, C and myself. We’ve got a long time to let other people in on it.

12 comments:

Samantha said...

I'm afraid I can't quell your anxiety any, but I sure hope it doesn't come to a tense bed rest.

Wishing you well. May the ute be half-full!

ggop said...

I don't know if this is reassuring or not - a coworker had low amniotic fluid and went on to deliver a perfect baby girl three weeks ago. :-)
Bed rest was recommended for her too. Take it reaaall easy..

May said...

I had a diagnosis of low fluid at the level 2 scan, too. My OB office called and said to come in immediately for another scan. H and I were freaking out.

My doc calmed us down immediately. She says she sees this all the time, and that the difference between low fluid and perfectly fine fluid is often that the baby hasn't had a pee recently and all that fluid is sitting in the baby's bladder. She rechecked us and it was perfectly fine. She also said that even if it had still been a bit low, she would have had us go home for a week, be vigilant about me staying really well hydrated, and then check again.

Anyway, I'm wishing excellent half-full ute thoughts and I am very hopeful that I'll come back and check on you in a few days to see a "Whew! What a relief!" post.

Geohde said...

Ann,

You probably need a repeat u/s if the measurements were technically difficult.

If there is real concern, then some form of BPP (to see how happy bub is in there- numbers of amniotic fluid are just that, not absolute guides) and some idea of whether the bub is well perfused from the placenta.

You see a bub that has a good S/D ratio and normal dopplers is most likely making normal foetal wee-wee (which is what amniotic fluid is, of course!)

Good luck,

J

Lindsey said...

congrats on the good news that you did receive at your anatomy scan. I'm sorry about the inconclusive fluid issue. I hope that your ute truly is mostly full, and that they just need another looksie to confirm. Good wishes for the next scan

ultimatejourney said...

No, the anxiety doesn't seem to stop. I hope your uterus is plenty full and that both of our uteruses remain that way until full term. I'm going to continue to drink lots of fluids (and spend lots of time going to and from the restroom) and hope for the best.

Natalie said...

Ugh, I'm so hoping it all goes well and fixes itself or whatever it is that it can do. THinking good thoughts for you - but take it easy (don't relax, we hate relaxing).

Michael Evans said...

Seems to be a week for worrying. Thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck.

MrsSpock said...

Oh bleh. I hope Baby 20 Percent just needed a good teetle...drink lots of fluids!

ms. c said...

In response to your question you just left me: YES, sometimes it just sucks.
I hope your fluid level is perfect today. I really really hope.

Mandy said...

No-one should have to face these kinds of decisions. I am hoping that May is right and that you won't have to. I came over here from "Sticky Bun".
Hang in there.
((hugs))
Mands xx

Anonymous said...

My wife was diagnosed with olighydramnios at 12 weeks and anhydramnios (no amniotic fluid) at 13 weeks. Every Perinatologist we visited said there was basically zero percent chance of survival. Today Sebastian is 15 months old and doing fine. There are multiple treatment options that your local OB or Perinatologist may or may not be aware of. These include amniopatch, amnioinfusion, etc. We tried all and consulted with doctors in six countries. My wife underwent surgical procedures at NYU and Johns Hopkins. In the end what worked was bedrest and steroids at the last moment. I can direct you to doctors who can consult with your doctor. rvolmer @ crosbyvolmer.com