The day after Zach's diagnosis, I was scheduled to play a concert in a mall with my community handbell choir. I chose to go ahead with my commitment, partly because it would have been impossible to replace me, and partly because I needed a distraction. I e-mailed the choir members on Friday, asking them not to mention my pregnancy at all. They complied. I made it through the concert, but only after working hard to keep my emotions in check amidst all the music (music always makes me cry).
Today was supposed to be a decent day with beautiful weather. Instead, it turned into an incredibly sucky day. My grandpa died this morning. It wasn't unexpected; he's 93 and he's been ill for quite some time. Still, you can never prepare for the death of a family member. He lived 8 hours away from us, so that means we'll be traveling that distance with a 3-week-old. With stops for feeding, it's going to be a looong trip--not to mention a very, very sad one.
Then, at Tyler's pedi appointment, I found out he's only gained 6 ounces in 2 weeks. I had suspected he wasn't getting enough food. So now I have to supplement with formula. I know many have had to do this, but I'm still so disappointed that I can't make all the milk he needs. I have a whole new world of worry now.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
So sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that your faith gets you through these very tough times.
As for Tyler, he is doing great and so so are you! It takes a good six weeks for your milk supply to come in and be stable. Drink lots of water, mother's milk tea, and take some herbs to increase your milk supply and let that baby nurse all the time these first few months. I didn't make enough for my first two but am a milk machine now with my third. Do what works for you in the long run be it nursing, formula, or a combo.
Parenting is a never ending struggle with questions and a quest for answers. I find babycenter.com very helpful because they generally have every perspective represented which is useful because you get lots of ideas and realize that there is never just one right answer.
You are doing a great job those first few months are so hard.
Sorry to hear about your grandfather :(
But on the feeding thing...trust me that once you start supplementing with formula you will feel better...finally knowing that he is getting enough...I have twins and in no way could I come close to pumping 60 oz a week and just started doing half and half. Now I dont stress about the pumping, I get what I get, and formula is the rest...I find myself way more relaxed.
More pix please :)
My condolences on your grandfather.
Sorry about the supplementing--but that could be only temporary while he gains weight and your milk supply increases. I would just make sure to keep pumping...it will work out.
Sorry to hear about your grandfather! May you find peace in his memory.
With regard to the breastfeeding. There is no harm (or shame!) in supplementing. You are going through a very stressful time right now and this will not help with milk supply. Hang in there and there is every chance that your supply will increase again soon! Thinking of you!
I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, Ann. My grandfather died 10 11 days before Sacha was born and I know I will always be reminded of the cycle of birth and death becasue of this.
I know the news of only a small weight gain is hard. Perhaps you will only need to supplement for a while. Who knows? The most important thing is that Tyler is happy and healthy, right?
I am so very sorry about your Grandpa! You are right, nothing can prepare you! I wish you well on your trip, and healing in your heart!
About the supplementing, try on of the supplemental nursing system, that way he will be getting both, and the breast will be stimulated to make more milk.
You and your family are in my prayers!
You are in my prayers
There have been some encouraging studies with massage, accupuncture, and chiropractory with milk supply. That having been said, we had to supplement my baby with formula and he is a huge, healthy 13 month old now. He got 11 months of breastmilk because we gave a little formula along the way. YOU ARE DOING FINE. Don't worry-- so is he.
So sorry about your loss.
Breastfeeding failed completely for me, and I felt horrible formula feeding, but my son is thriving and has always been a couple months ahead in his develpoment anyway.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
You are definitely not alone in your breastfeeding struggles. It is not as easy as it seems like it *should* be. Tyler is adorable and he will be healthy and happy no matter how you feed him.
I am so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Em
from Australia
I know Zach's birthday has just come and gone. Just wanted you to know I was thinking of you.
Post a Comment