I had this grand plan to go to a free mommy and me yoga class this morning at a maternity store about 20-25 minutes from my house.
Tyler woke up for his first feeding of the day at about 7:45 a.m. This is perfect, I thought. Hopefully, he'll sleep till at least 10:30, I can pile him in the car seat, he'll sleep in the car on the way over, then I can feed him again at the store while we wait for the class to start.
Except. Just as I was blow drying my hair and preparing to pack the diaper bag at about 10:20, I heard a cry. Tyler was awake and hungry. That's OK, I told myself as I quickly prepared the bottle, I can still feed him, leave home by 11 a.m. and make it in time for the class. He just might be a little crankier after getting a catnap in the car.
As I tried my best to encourage him to take the bottle quickly (note: nothing can encourage a baby to eat more quickly if he wants to take his good old time about it), I watched the clock and became more and more stressed. We were going to be late, and it was only an hour-long class!
Then I looked at my son as he took a little break from his feeding. He looked relaxed, and happy, and perfectly content lying down in Mommy's lap.
This is what I have been waiting for for so long.
To hell with yoga, and stress, and schedules.
This is our time, and nothing will take that away from us.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Not sure if you have tried it yet, but I used Podee bottles on occasion if I needed to get going. I'd put the babies into their infant seats and buckle them in, then place the bottle of formula between their thighs and the straw that goes up to the nipple is long enough to reach their mouth. It is not heavy, it's just like a pacifier to them that has milk. That way you can get into the car and he can eat at his own pace. I didn't do this anymore than I needed to, but it really was a lifesaver.
I always wondered if I should be taking J to enrichment activities, storytime, and whatnot, but truthfully, the 7 months I spent chasing him around the living room and going for walks around the neighborhood were wonderful just as they were.
I agree- to hell with schedules! Quality time is just that- it doesn't matter where or how it happens, just that it does. On top of all the regular "taking care of baby" stress, you certainly don't need to add "running around, get somewhere on time" stress!
You are so right about not being able to rush a baby. I found it really hard to plan things at the beginning, but somewhere around 6-7 months it became easier.
Getting out of the house with a newborn is definitely a pushing-on-a-string type activity. Glad you could find a relaxing moment as it came (as opposed to how it was planned).
I love when Hailey snuggles in my lap. I get nothing done at home because I can spend a really long time just watching my daughter as she naps and snuggles in my lap.
I'm so glad you're enjoying each other! I found myself blowing off many activities that probably would've been fun, but just weren't worth the hassle.
Post a Comment