The day after I wrote my last post, I started bottle feeding. It was the best thing I could have done.
I think it was a conversation with my mom that was the breaking point. She said to me, "I can't believe you've been this patient for this long. You have worked so hard on this." I realized that I had, indeed, done just about everything I could to continue breastfeeding Tyler, and that no one would blame me if I stopped. So, with the pedi's blessing, I have switched to mostly formula, with a bit of breast milk thrown in (I pump three times a day now). Yes, it would be nice if I could feed Tyler completely on pumped breast milk, but that simply isn't possible with my milk supply. (And before any of you suggest that I pump more often, I barely get anything pumping 7 or 8 times a day--maybe an ounce a pumping. And...OWWW!)
Tyler is thriving. I finally caved and bought 8-ounce bottles. He's going to start getting 5 ounces, because at 7 weeks, 4 already isn't enough for him. I think he's thrilled that he's finally getting enough to eat.
And now, I can actually play with him and enjoy his precious baby-ness! It's getting so much more fun every day to watch him. He's smiling more and more. My biggest problem these days is managing the vast amounts of spit-up he produces.
And if that's my biggest problem, I'm doing pretty darned good.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I'm so glad that everything worked out well.
My sister was in the same situation and once she swapped to the bottle it was so much better for her and the baby.
From
Em
Australia
Good for you and Tyler! Enjoy every moment!
so glad to hear you're happier and Tyler is doing well. And I'm glad you're feeling good about your decision.
Well done on making the decision. And also on trying so hard with the breastfeeding and still continuing with adding it to his diet. I am so glad you are enjoying him more now that the added stress has been taken away.
Ann! You sound amazing! I'm so happy to hear the joy in your voice.
You know... you have hit on the 2 major things about being a mom (parent): making hard decisions concerning your child and taking the time to enjoy being with him.
When I switched, it was like a 2-ton elephant was lifted off my shoulders. I am so glad I have spent the past 6 months bonding with and enjoying my son, and no doubt you will too. No guilt!!
Glad to hear things are getting better. Tyler sounds like he is growing and growing!
So glad to hear that things are going well. Give yourself a Huge pat on the back, you did more then most women would do. Enjoy him every second, they grow and change so fast. I can't believe he is 7 weeks already. WOW, it seems to be flying by!
YAY! I'm so glad to hear this! Only YOU know what is right for your baby, and this sounds like you made the most PERFECT decision! Praying for continued success and joy in the wonders of motherhood!
You made a great choice. Now just go on and enjoy your baby, and don't worry anymore about the feeding stuff. He's gonna be fine on formula.
P.S. Sorry for not coming around of late -- I was having weird issues with Blogger saying my invite to your blog was expired. Gah.
Congrats on having such a gorgeous little guy!
Oh hon, if you read my blog occasionally (and thank you for your kind comments), you known I've been in the BF wars, too. I lasted less than two weeks because my milk never really came in. I managed to pump a few drops at a time, and that was with round the clock efforts.
You gave it a good bash, and honestly despite all the hoopla there's nothing wrong with formula. Tyler will be just fine, and you will feel so much better,
xx
J
As musch as I don't want to, I may have to do the same thing. While Hailey is getting enough to eat, it seems like when I pump I only get one ounce. (Two if I pump both sides.) I am not going to have enough to go back to work and I feel like I am feeding her or pumping all day long. I know that more and more formula will be added to her diet. As long as the kids are healthy and they are getting enough to eat that is all that matters and it doesn't matter if tht means formula or breastmilk.
Post a Comment