I hate pregnant women.
This is a strange statement for me to make, because I was one myself just a year ago. But I just can't shake the resentment I feel whenever a woman with a bump starts talking with other people about her pregnancy. In particular, I seethe with anger when a friend who is 12 weeks pregnant talks about the bet she and her husband have about the gender of their baby. As she writes in her blog, "In just 8 weeks we will find out."
Don't you mean, in 8 weeks you will find out if your baby is healthy?
Logically, I know that it is impossible to expect that everyone should be as freaked out about the 20-week ultrasound as I am. Every person has that one "thing" that strikes fear in her heart. For some women, it's the well-baby check-up at the pediatrician's office, because that's where they found out their baby has a life-limiting condition. Whereas I am approaching the 12-month checkup with mostly indifference.
But.
I just can't shake those bad feelings. Part of me wonders if I'll ever be able to see a pregnant woman without feeling extraordinarily uncharitable toward her.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Do you know what else I hate? The question "When are you going to have another baby?" It is just as bad as "When are you going to have kids?"
I hate the questions and the pregnant women just as much as you do. I hate them even more when the pregnant woman asks the question.
I suppose I should say we will come to terms someday. Do you think?
Thought of you a lot lately, glad to see you've written!
I get livid when I hear about homebirth, or no monitoring, even though I was a staunch supporter years ago. Infertility softened that view, and having a nonmoving baby who is lucky to be alive has me planning to find the most high-intervention, monitoring-heavy OB I can find, because the thought of making it to 40 weeks and losing everything strikes fear into my heart.
I can't hear the words, "Trust birth" without a snort of derision.
Very good post. Two and a half weeks ago, I went to my perinatologist's office for a "first screen" at 13 weeks (to screen for Downs and Trisomy 18). There was an entire family in the waiting room - grandparents, etc. The expectant mom came out with the older sister of the baby (it seemed like), and announced in both spanish and english that it was a boy. The grandparents said something in spanish about celebrating (I understand some Spanish). I must have been starting at them in disbelief, or something. They were all giggling over this "boy" thing on their way out, but they paused when they saw me staring at them. I was just wanting to ask them is the baby healthy? That's what we will be celebrating! We're getting a Fetal Echo two weeks from tomorrow. Hopefully we can have a celebration, too.
I'm with Mrs Spock. Had HELLP syndrome and needed all the intervention I could get. So get irritated with home birth posts etc.
Post a Comment