A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Back in the saddle

There's nothing quite like listening to a roomful of doctors discuss your uterus.

Oh hysterosalpinogram, how I've missed you so. Although to be truthful, this time around it didn't hurt nearly so much.

The two or three of you who have been checking in on me periodically must be wondering what's up with me. Here's the rundown, medically and emotionally. First, medically...

M and I have been trying for four cycles now, and zilch. After my last cycle was 7 weeks long, I went in for a reunion with Dr. Hot last week(who is looking a little grey in the temple, by the way). He was all set to start me on a Femara cycle, except that my routine bloodwork turned out to be not-so-routine. I have an underactive thyroid, which means I need to take meds to get me back in line, definitely through a pregnancy, and possibly for the rest of my life. What a bummer. I guess a hormone problem like this can really harm a pregnancy, so God was really watching out for me those months I was trying to get pregnant. It takes my breath away thinking how I dodged a bullet. Yet, even while my brain knows it was a good thing I haven't gotten pregnant yet, my heart is really, really frustrated that it could be several months before I can even start trying again.

Emotionally, I'm starting to feel all the same envy as last time. Although, I have to admit it's not nearly as bad this time around. It does suck, though, because all the toddler play areas are filled with pregnant women. Everywhere I look, someone is knocked up! Honestly, people have just got to stop procreating. After my appointment with Dr. Hot last week, my friend revealed she's 11 weeks pregnant with an "oops" baby--her third. (She didn't know where I'd been.) Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.

During my HSG this morning, there was a question about whether my uterus was mishapen, which was why all the doctors were discussing it. It turned out to be nothing, but man, was I nervous.

Ugh. So here I am, in the trenches again. You may have noticed I am no longer a private blog. I decided, to hell with it. If someone I know is reading this blog, welcome to my private thoughts!

I'm going to try my best to post more often now, so stay tuned!

4 comments:

Deborah said...

It's funny that I decided to check back on you today, and here you are! I can see how you'd feel really mixed about the thyroid problem. How long before you can TTC again? Not being able to TTC, I've found, is its own whole category of frustration.

loribeth said...

It's funny, I had you in the "password protected" section of my reader, & suddenly I had like 25 new posts from you this morning! Welcome back! & good luck with ttc.

BigP's Heather said...

Glad they found it and can get it straightened out, but it does suck.

MrsSpock said...

All the mom's at J's day care had had their second kid already,and it was very frustrating knowing we had tried for almost 2 years yet again for our daughter,and she is younger than everyone else's second one.

A cousin just got pregnant within the first year of marriage,and even though I was pregnant,I still felt a stab in the heart. Because I am insane.