I should call my blog "The Unlucky .02 Percent," because that's about the chance of our child having this condition.
See, I can still joke! As many of you already know, you can't cry all day long when you're going through suffering. There are moments of deep sadness, but there are also incredibly, incredibly funny moments, too. M's mother is very emotional, and I think she's been taken aback by how loud we've laughed at times over the past few days. The thing is, both M and I are theater people, and we know how easily the line between tragedy and comedy can be blurred.
As I expected, the perinatologist's diagnosis was correct. Our baby has bilateral renal agenesis, which means he has no kidneys or bladder and cannot survive outside the womb. In addition, there may be a problem with the nuchal fold, which could indicate other major disabilities. In short, our child has lots of problems.
I am scheduled to be induced this afternoon. Unfortunately, the staff at the hospital where I work are not equipped to handle something like this (i.e., ending the life of a living fetus with a lethal condition), so I will be delivering with a different doctor at a different hospital.
The thing is, while M and I are devastated, we have not sunk into a pit of despair. We've been overwhelmed by the love and kindness shown to us--from you guys, from our family, our friends, our co-workers. My OB has been wonderful. She called and spoke to me for 20 minutes last night. She had been trying to fight to get me to deliver at my hospital, but at this point I'm ready for my scheduled induction. She told me how everyone in her office is so broken up about this. Not that they would ever want anyone to experience such a loss, but they were all rooting for me so much.
And our faith has held us up. Honestly, I don't know how we would handle even getting up in the morning without God's help. I feel so sad, but I also feel strengthened. Our path has changed from the one we originally put together. There has to be a reason for it. Some good will come out of this--even if it's not to us. Our little boy's short time in my belly will not be in vain.
Thank you so much for all your comments and offers of comfort. I can't tell you how much it means to open my e-mail and see so many people pouring out their hearts. It breaks my heart to see how many of you have experienced similar losses. That's just not right.
For the first time this morning, I didn't take my prenatal pill. It just didn't seem to matter anymore. I am very, very scared about what's going to happen in a few hours, but it's something the two of us will just have to get through. I just hope the labor won't go as long as 48 hours, as some early inductions have been known to go that long.
Hey, and look on the bright side--I only have $200 left before I reach my out-of-pocket maximum for my insurance! So this delivery will be pretty close to free. (Cut me some slack--I have to find some sort of silver lining. :) )
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
96 comments:
Oh, my dear, good for you for blurring the line between tragedy and comedy. That is how my husband and I deal with things, too. I'm so glad to hear that you're finding some comfort in the support of the IF community and I'll continue to think of you and your husband over the next few days.
Oh, Ann. You and your husband will be in my thoughts this afternoon. What an utterly horrible situation. I'm glad that you're receiving such good care and please know that there are MANY of us out here sending prayers your way.
I have tears in my eyes as I type this- I am so so very sorry. I hope you have a short easy labor and are able to peacefully say goodbye to your beloved son. I will be thinking about you in the meantime...
"The woods are lovely dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep."
Robert Frost
I just clicked through from the Lost & Found Connections newsletter, and I wanted to let you know that I am so, so sorry for what you are going through.
Hi,
I have been refreshing your page since last night. I went through an ectopic and then an IVF to conceive.words cannot express my sadness for your loss. I admire your courage to be able to write about it at this time. I cannot type more because my eyes are blurred with tears. Sorry again and sending all my prayers for you and your family.
take care
I will be thinking of you this afternoon - it just makes me sick. Glad we got to talk on the phone a little bit...take care of yourself. Thank you for keeping us updated.
Ann, I am overwhelmed by your positive attitude. You are amazingly strong.
I have been thinking about you constantly. I hope the induction will be ok.
It sounds like you have a great support system, and you also have all of us in the computer to lean on.
Ann, I'm so very sorry. My heart is broken for you. I hope the delivery is uneventful, and that meeting your little guy brings you some peace.
You have a beautiful attitude. Your strength and courage is amazing. I will continue to pray for you.
Ann, I began reading your blog back when you first received your BFP. Your pregnancy always gave me hope and inspiration of my own success. Now, in the face of this painful loss, your blog has given me a different type of inspiration. An inspiration to be as strong and peaceful as you are. Thank you for that. I will definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers today and the weeks to come.
My most sincere thoughts go out to you and your family today. Thank you for showing the rest of us what true courage and faith is about.
I came over from Mel/Stirrup Queens. I am so sorry to hear of this. Praying for you today.
Sweetie, I am so sorry. This is the worst news ever. And my heart is going out to you two right now.
You lead by example and have the best attitude ever. I will remember this post each time I feel despair.
I'm hoping the induction goes as planned and you move on to the next cycle.
You are in my thoughts. I'm so so sorry.
Sometimes humor is where you have to go when there are no more tears left. I envy people who don't know that.
I hope you will not need to be quite so strong in the future. I'm so sorry you are going through this.
DinoD
Oh darling lady,
I am so beyond sorry. I just don't know what to say except that I've been there and come out the other side. In more or less one piece.
If it helps, I spent the week inbetween diagnosis and definitive action getting drunk (brain development, ha! what brain?), not taking a prenatal is rather restrained.
I'm thinking of you,
If you can bear it, get pictures or something to remember your baby by. I thought that I didn't want anything at the time, and now it's what hurts the most.
I am so very very very deeply sorry.
Thinking of you,
xxx
J
I have tears streaming down my face right now. I am just so incredibly sad about this. I'm glad that you are able to keep your sense of humor and let your lovely personality shine through in this tragic time.
I am praying for you and your husband and that peace may come your way, while you grieve. I'm thinking of you always, my dear. XOXO
I'm so so very sorry. I am praying for your comfort and healing. And the ability to see the positive in it all."
I am so sorry for this. Please know that I am thinking of you.
~Carole
Found you from Lost/Found and I am just sending in my support/prayers for you! I am deeply deeply sorry that you received this news
I'm just a lurker, but I wanted to say how sorry I am. You are still able to keep the humor, and I know how terribly hard it must be for you. You are in my thoughts.
I am so, so sorry. My heart is breaking for you.
I am so unbelievably sorry for you loss. I am wishing you as easy a labor and delivery as is possible. Keeping you, your family, and your baby in my thoughts and prayers
Oh Ann, you are so strong. You are in my thoughts. I cannot imagine what you're going through and I certainly can't imagine handling it with such a strong attitude.
I'm so sorry that you and anyone has to be put in this position. I am glad that despite the tragedy you seem to be coming to a place of peace with the horrible situation and even have a little humor here and there. I will be thinking of you.
I only hope its short and as painfree as possible. there's not much else to say to you. I have a feeling you'll be all right, one day, your strength is clear to see. HUGS
I'm just so very sorry. Your family is in my thoughts. ~hugs~
I'm glad you're getting such great support. Can't imagine how hard this must be...
(((HUGS)))
There are just some things that insurance should pay for.
I'm going to keep you all in my prayers. I hope you will share pictures of your precious child.
I'm so sorry this is happening.
I am hoping things go smoothly today. I will be thinking of you and your son.
I'll be thinking of you all day today and tonight.
I'm glad you are making jokes though. As I've said many times, I can either run screaming down the street, or make very very sick jokes. I chose the humourous route.
Take care, and if you need anything ever email me at aurelia dot cotta at gmail dot com. I'll be there for you.
I came over from Lost and Found to express my sincere condolences. I am so sorry you are going through this. My prayers are with you and your husband. God Bless.
Shit. All that I can come up with are some serious cuss words. I'm so sorry. I would wish you strength and courage, but you seem to exude those qualities already.
You, your husband, and your little boy are in my thoughts and prayers. Deal with this in whatever way you need to. Say goodbye any way you can. I am so sorry. Somehow, given the situation, that sounds hollow but it is most heartfelt.
I am so sorry for you and M. You deserve so much more but are so right. Your son's time in you belly won't go wasted. I am praying for you and your family to keep your spirits high.
Oh, Ann. My heart is breaking for you, and I cried as I've read your last few posts.
The depths of unfairness of this is indescribable. No one ever deserves this, but it's just downright cruel for people who have struggled as hard as you two for this sweet child.
I will pray for you, your husband, and your baby boy. Your strength through this ordeal is something to be proud of. I simply can't express how sad I am for you.
I wish there was some words to express how deeply sorry i am for you and your husband. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm thinking of you and praying for you.
I'm glad you have been able to joke some (even if it is somewhat bitterly). My husband and I were able to laugh about some things during my induction and I think it helped me survive.
I am so, so sorry. Your post is heart-wrenching and I am so, so sorry this is happening.
I've been out of blogland for a couple months and I can't beleive what I am reading. I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am and how sad I am for you guys.
I'm thinking of you and I am here for support.
((BIG HUGS))
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Good for you in finding the silver linings in a tragic situation. You sound like a very strong person.
i adore your sense of humor, and i admire your strength. and, i am so incredibly sorry that you are facing what you are.
thinking of you,
-lori
Hi, I clicked over from Erin's blog. I just want to say that I'm so sorry to read what you are going through-you are in my thoughts.
Good luck with everything today. I'm glad you've got such great people around you.
Bea
Oh, Ann, the tears are just filling my eyes as I type this. Bless your heart and please know that I am sending all my love to you right now. May you be surrounded by love, peace, and everything you need right now.
My heart breaks for you. I am glad that your faith and your friends have held you up.
I am so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. I have been passively reading your blog, and just read about your son's condition. I am glad you can have faith and still find humor, you are a strong woman. Please let us all know if there is anything we can do.
Your sense of humor in this is so completely admirable. You are incredibly strong, even if it's only for moments. I'm sure today was horrible but just know we're all here for you, thinking of you, and so sad for what you must be going through.
My heart is so broken for you right now. Please know that each and every one of us are here praying for you. We're here when you're ready to talk, ready to laugh, ready to cry. We're ready for anything. You're so loved, and so is your perfect little man, who by now, has been born an angel.
Clicked over from another blog, just another member of the community, sending you good thoughts, prayers, and virtual hugs.
I found you through Kristen's blog. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss. I can't imagine getting as far as you have and then having to experience such heartbreak.
I'm also awed and inspired by your ability to maintain a sense of humor through this tragedy. I have to admit, when I read your words "As many of you already know, you can't cry all day long when you're going through suffering." the first thought that popped into my head was "Why the hell not?" followed by "My husband would beg to differ..." :-) just kidding...kind of!
I have just stumbled on your blog and wanted to say I am sad to read your news. I am glad you are receiving wonderful support from those important to you. Thinking of you.
Came over from Debbie...
It should never be this hard, or this heartbreaking.
I am so so sorry. You have come so far, it must really makes this all the more difficult. I admire your bravery, though, and I understand your need to try again so soon.
(((hugs)))
Mands
I am so sorry for everything you're going through. I, too, had a defective fetus (large cystic hygroma + fetal hydrops = nonviable pregnancy). I terminated at 14 weeks.
Please know that you're in my thoughts & prayers. My condolences to you and your family.
I also clicked over from Mel's site. I'm so incredibly sorry, how devastating. My thoughts are with you.
I just wanted to tell you I'm so very sorry. I wanted to acknowledge how brave you are and let you know that I'm praying for you xxx
Ann, I'm glad to hear that you're able to find and keep your faith in this utterly horrible situation that you're in. I will be thinking of you today, and hoping that your induction goes smoothly.
Much love to you and M, my dear.
I am a "spot reader" of your blog, but I wanted you to know that I am thinking about you during this tragic time of loss.
There are no words to comfort you, but I do hope that you know we have all wrapped our arms around you in support at this very tragic time.
I am just so so sorry for what you are facing. My prayers are with you and your family.
I'm so, so sorry. My thought and well wishes are so very definitely with you and your other half.
I'm so, so, so sorry you have to deal with all of this. My heart goes out to you. I'm thinking of you all.
I am very, very sorry. We went through a similar experience with our son. He was non viable outside the womb too. Because we were using a home birth midwife and didn't believe in too many u/s's we didn't know anything was wrong until the preterm labor started (because he wasn't swallowing). In a way that was a blessing because we found those tough choices were taken from us eventually.
You will survive this. There will be moments when it doesn't feel like it, but like you have already seen, there will be moments when you will be doing ok. There will even be moments that you cherish because you felt the love for each other and the loving support around you.
I am thinking about you.
prayers to you. i am so thankful that you have kept your faith as you will need it to help you heal. your family will remain in my thoughts!
Ann,
I am sending strength, love, and courage as you face today and the days and weeks to come. My thoughts are with you and your family...
I am so, so sorry. I will be thinking of you...and praying for you that you can continue to keep your strength focused as you go through this.
*HUGS*
I used to follow your blog but I stopped as your pregnancy continues and mine didn't. It was just too hard.
Now I find this situation and I am so terribly sorry that you have to face this. I know the heartache of a second trimester loss. It is the hardest thing. And to be in your position must make it harder still.
I am so very sorry that you facing this. Words can't say.
There are no words, I am just so, so very sorry. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm so very sorry for what you are enduring right now. I hope the delivery goes quickly for you. Your attitude is amazing and I wish you and your husband peace!
Take care.
You are definitely in my thoughts. I know there is nothing to say to improve this situation, but please know that you and your precious little one have impacted so many in such good ways.
I am impressed that you can still find the positives in this seemingly unfair experience.
I am so very sorry for your loss but wanted to comment to let you know that I am thinking about your and praying for you.... I have no other words at a time like this but wanted you to know that you are not alone! I'll be thinking about you!
I'm very sorry for your loss.
My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please know there are lots of people thinking of you.
May God grant you peace and strength.
Em from Australia
I have been lurking and want to delurk to say how sorry I am for what you are going through.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm so very sorry.
I am so sorry for your loss. You will be in my thoughts.
I am so sorry about this, my heart goes out to you.
I just wanted to let you know that I am still thinking and praying for you every day. I hope that everything went as well as it possibly could.
I also wanted to let you know how much of an inspiration you are to me. After my 8-week loss I thought I would just die but then I read about how well you are coping and the grace with which that you are handling this much larger loss and it gives me pause. You are a very strong, brave woman and I have a lot of respect for you.
Good luck and know that you are in my thoughts.
I came here via another blogger. I am SO sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through.
One of my Mind Body group had to give birth to her 20 week old baby when they (inexplicably) found no heartbeat. My chats with her give me some clue of how you must be feeling.
I hope the labour is quick and painless and you get some peace from meeting you little boy.
Oh my gosh - I have not read your posts for a few weeks and now I can't believe what I am reading. I am so horribly sorry. This is so unbelievable and sad but these things do happen - my sister delivered a trisomy 18 baby (stillborn, no idea beforehand) at 8 months and she has a friend who had a baby with Potter's syndrome (died shortly after birth). Not that this makes it any better...no one deserves to go through that. But I am sure it helps to know you are not alone. I hope in time you can find peace in your heart like my sister did - she always looks lovingly back at the daughter she never knew but loves anyways. Please keep us informed and take care of yourself. You will be in my thoughts. So so sorry.
Lisa
Ann,
I should have skipped ahead instead of reading from the beginning! I can only simply say that I am sorry and my prayers are with you and your family!
All I can say is I am SOO very sorry. I know it doesn't help and I know it won't make things better but it's all I know to say right now.
My thoughts are with you.
Wow, strongest person Ive ever met in a blog. Just WOW.
I'm so so sorry Ann. I'll be thinking of you. {{{HUGS}}}
Ann, I hope you had a fairly smooth experience on Tuesday and are recovering. Thinking of you and your husband and family.
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss...please take care of you. Love and hugs.
I am new to your blog but I wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
I'm so very sorry. Your grief is palpable, and I can't even imagine where you are right now. But I will pray for a measure of peace to come your way in the days ahead.
:( There are no words for me to convey just how devastating this news it. I am so sorry - you are in my thoughts.
oh Ann, i hope you are doing okay. i'm so so sorry.
So, so, sad.
I'm sorry but applaud your strength.
You are more woman than I could ever be.
May your angel find peace, as well you and your husband.
Anns xo
I'm so very sorry for you and your hubby Ann. You're in my thoughts, and your little boy too.
I am so sorry. I found you through Leah and want to lend some support. I am saying a prayer for you and your family.
Post a Comment