A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Saturday, January 7, 2012

IUI #1

On Tuesday, I took an OPK test and got a negative. After getting a positive on Wednesday (CD 16, for what it's worth), I called the clinic and set up an appt. for an IUI Thursday morning. Then, Wednesday night at about 10:30 p.m., I started experiencing enough cramping that I had to take an Advil. Sure enough, when I took my temp Thursday morning, it was just high enough to make me wonder whether I had already ovulated.

See, I had elected not to do an u/s this first time, because OPKs have been working so well for me. But I was so paranoid I requested an u/s before my IUI at 10:45 a.m. on Thursday. I was right--I had already ovulated. The doctor told me the IUI could still work 12-24 hours after I ovulated, and I was at 12 1/2 hours, so I went ahead with it. After all, a 102 million sperm count is nothing to scoff at! But I have to laugh at the fact that my first $1300 IUI may very well be a bust because I was too late. It figures.

2 comments:

Stacemoe said...

Praying it wasn't a bust!!! ((HUGS)) to you!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this cycle! I am a long time lurker. Your blog was the first infertility blog I started reading.

The timing is probably still good. The egg will be waiting there for the sperm. One thing to consider is that many RE's advise patients to not take Advil or any NSAIDS around mid cycle because it can inhibit ovulation. Of course, nobody told me this until my 3rd or 4th medicated IUI. Just something to consider for future cycles. It probably won't affect things, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

I hope this cycle works!