Well, I guess it's about time.
I need a book. About parenting an infant.
Because really, I don't have the faintest idea what I'm doing. And because I haven't personally bought any books about pregnancy, childbirth or parenting yet. And because I'm realizing that in three short months, I may very well have an infant in my home who is completely dependent on me.
But I want a good book--one that approaches this subject with a sense of humor, rather than just with a sense of alarm.
Any suggestions?
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
25 comments:
No suggestions, I'm afraid. I just wanted to tell you that I'm incredibly happy for you, and for your progress so far. God knows, you deserve this joy. :)
Wishing you all the best.
I didn't mind the week by week parenting book when he was little. I never found one I was in love with though.
Check out Ann Douglas's "The Mother of All..." books. She's got volumes for pregnancy, babies & toddlers, & also has a sleep book (both U.S. & Canadian editions). Ann's a fellow babyloss mom & blogger who writes widely on parenting issues. Her main blog is at http://anndouglas.blogspot.com/
"On becoming baby wise" by Gary Ezzo and robert Bucknam, M.D.
It's about establishing a sleeping pattern (sleeping through the nihts). I was a nanny for a new born twice and both parents wanted me to work with the book.
It has made the entire infant time a blessing to me as a nanny, the parents who "took over" during the nights and of course my lovley, happy, beautiful two baby girls.
My MFM specialist gave me a book put out by the American College of Ob/Gyns called Your Pregnancy & Birth. It also has a section on newborns. Although it will probably only help for the first few months (as well as the labor part), I have found it to be very informative and it is certainly comes from an authorative source.
I have "What to Expect the First Year" and Dr Sears "The Baby Book". As far as developmental milestones, both are good, but the Dr sears book is most helpful about things like childhood illnesses, when to call the Dr, breastfeeding and whatnot. I must caution, though, that Dr Sears is big on babywearing, co-sleeping, and breastfeeding. When I was going through BF hell, and then giving it up, I studiously avoided that book, b/c I just ended up feeling even more guilty and unworthy.
I swear by Marc Weissbluth's sleep book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child." And I second MrsSpock above with regard to Dr. Sears.
I think the above posts have introduced the fact that there are different schools of thought on parenting and some issues -- breastfeeding and sleep training in particular -- are quite controversial. I was going to recommend Dr. Sears' The Baby Book, which I still use as a reference (my son is a year old). It's pretty comprehensive. I do not find it at all judgmental, but then again, I'm at the crunchy end of the spectrum on most of the controversial issues. I never did much babywearing because my son would not tolerate it, and I didn't at all feel that Dr. Sears' books were accusing me of being a bad parent. But, to each her own. You can find out from reviews on Amazon which books are most in line with your preferences and buy accordingly.
I was going to say that parenting books can be contraversial, but Ms. Miranda already beat me too it.
FWIW, I loved the Sear's books, but I'm crunchy too.
And obviously, I have no "real" experience either.
we're big fans of the dr. sears book too, but also pretty crunchy about these things. parenting books are definitely controversial.... we're big on dr. sears, but have also read the baby whisperer and have found her to be the middle ground between baby wise and dr. sears. i think you will just have to think of what parenting style you are aiming for (i.e. you really want to schedule your baby, or you don't) and go from there.
Long time reader who doesn't comment: I LOVE Secrets of a baby whisperer. I have a back ground in Child Development and this book is GREAT. She has good info and it can be adjusted for any type of child. I highly recommend it!
I'd really recommend Vicky Iovine's books. She does the 'best friend's guide to...' books (which I think have been rebranded as 'The Girlfriend's Guide to..') and they cover pregnancy through new baby, toddler and then getting yourself back! They are very unjudgemental books which help if and when you're feeling guilty about being less than perfect (for me it was not getting out of the house very much and not dressing my baby in perfect outfits every day, among many many other things!) and she says that they contain the things that doctors and other books won't tell you, but that your best friend would. They really picked me up when I felt like I was the only one going through all of this.
Best wishes for the last few weeks of the pregnancy, and I hope that you can enjoy it. I look forward to hearing all about the baby before very much longer.
Just my opinion, but no book will prepare you for motherhood. I read all of the books and articles I could get my hands on and nothing prepared me for what real life would be as a new mommy. You have to trust yourself and your instincts and know that it will come in time after your baby is born. My daughter is 11-months-old and baby #2 is due in January and I'm still learning.
Have fun and enjoy the ride. :)
Harvey Karp saved our lives for the first three months. I liked Pantley's books and the baby whisperer. But I take all books with a grain of salt. If it works for you, fantastic. If it doesn't, don't let it bother you.
Fantastic! Are you having butterflies in your stomach yet :-)
Oooh Luna, how exciting! I'm so glad you have some sort of timeline for when the infant will come home.
I would also recommend "The Baby Book" by Dr,. Sears and "Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Karp. Also, "Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn" and "The No-Cry Sleep Solution." (I'm a postpartum doula and have read and recommended these books with good reviews/results.)
Of all the "baby manuals" I read, I actually quite liked What to Expect the First Year- it was rather less alarmist than the pregnancy book and had some helpful info.
I found that any book (and there are lots of them out there) which told me I was doing something wrong if the baby wasn't eating/sleeping/pooping at a particular time of day on a schedule made me want to stick needles in my eyes.
Hands down the best parenting advice I've ever read? AskMoxie.org.
I also liked the Vicki Iovine "Girlfriend's Guides" because they are funny and friendly in tone. And I second the recommendation for the "Your Baby's First Year Week by Week," because if you really have no idea about baby development milestones such as when your kid begins to smile, crawl, or hurl feces from his diaper (heh, you WISH I was kidding on the last one) then that book will dial you in fast.
If you sign up for Publix baby club (it's free and you can do it in store or online, I think) they will send you a good book free. It covers late pregnancy and baby age 0 - 5 yrs.
I happen to like that it has medical advice in the back - very handy when you can't get to Dr. Google.
I'll third the Girlfriend's Guide. My sons are 13 and 10 now and I had that book and enjoyed it. I never held a baby before I had my own, didn't babysit, etc. It was a shock but it really does come naturally to some and thankfully, it did come naturally to me to care for an infant. It's easier than you think, but more exhausting than you can imagine and more fun and rewarding than you can believe.
Just keep the baby fed, changed and well rested.
Try to keep yourself that way too. :-)
I also recommend Harvey Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block. For an excellent all-around manual, I can't recommend Baby 411 enough. It's more of a reference book than one you'd read straight through (although I did when I first bought it), and I reference it almost daily. There's also a sequel, Toddler 411. As for sleeping, I also liked Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child. For feeding (birth through childhood), Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense.
I am also crunchy mama who is a huge fan of Dr Sears and their library of books.
On Becoming Babywise by Gary Ezzo has has quite a bit of controversy surrounding it and might be something you'd like to google before buying.
Humor?
I actuallg got the "Your Baby's First Year for Dummies"
Cracked me up when sometimes I wanted to cry.. It actually has good information in it as well. Just not the 'doctor" book. I had more fun reading before the baby came, then after.. no time..
We love the Dr. Sears books, "the baby book" in particular. Very helpful information without being too "textbook" and sending you to the ER with every little thing. I have the Dr. Sears toddler books that we reference ALL THE TIME now that are twins are becoming little people with big attitudes!
Hope that helps!
I 100 "The Happiest Baby on the Block." I still swaddle my son at almost 4 months because he sleeps so well like that! (I NEVER would have known this without the help of Dr. Karp.) That being said, it's a great book for settling/ fussing/sleeping. It isn't all that comprehensive for the rest (BFing, illness...)
I also have Dr. Sears, and I like it. I pick and chose what works for me from this book (ie: I chose not to co-sleep, but I do wear my baby). I think the info is great, and is not too judgemental.
The Baby Whisperer sent me into chaos this week. She is just too structured for me. (But if you LIKE structure, I would think that this is the way to go.)
I agree with Mel: take what works for you from a book. Don't let it rule your life.
Post a Comment