A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Miss Zero Personality

Happily, my biggest concern of the moment is that I am sick to death of work.

Specifically, I am not thrilled about my maternity replacement. She started late last week and I have been spending most of my time either explaining my job duties to her or letting her watch me as I put out fires, work on projects, etc.

Other people in my office think she is only going to be around for three months. I, however, know I won’t be coming back, and I also am pretty sure my boss suspects this. It is my opinion that if she (we’ll call her Flo) works out, she will become my permanent replacement (because I don’t plan on returning to work for more than a couple of weeks).

Here’s my problem with Flo: She’s, well...dull. For the past week, I have been struggling with my feelings because I wonder if I’m not giving her enough of a chance. I try to remember what it’s like to be learning a new job and soaking in all this information. Except that even when someone is clueless, you can tell if they have a certain “spark.” Do you know what I mean? A person who works in public relations should have some spunk to them. In my job, I have to advise people as to the proper ways to publicize information; I talk them down off a ledge when they’re upset about a negative news article; I call them out when they’re trying to pawn off too much work on me and my department. Flo doesn’t seem to have much of a personality. She’s not assertive (and yes, you can be assertive even when you’re learning a new job). Sometimes she has this strange expression on her face. Perhaps a lot of her problem is that she doesn’t know how to present herself effectively. She reminds me of some of the mediocre journalists I used to know (her background is print journalism, as is mine, although I think she’s only about 25) who would work fine where they are, but would never really accomplish anything great.

Perhaps this post sounds mean. Perhaps it is. But all I know is that I’m being forced to spend my days with Miss Zero Personality. Oh, she’ll do fine as a workhorse. She seems to have an attention to detail, and she has the raw skills my boss needs to fill my position. But I don’t know if she’s going to contribute anything to the office. It’ll be interesting to see if my boss decides to keep her around once I give my notice.

Flo works Tuesday through Thursday. I am fervently hoping that I go into labor before next Tuesday, but I’m not holding my breath. Quick update: I’m about 1.5 cm dilated, still about 50% effaced, and no significant contractions to speak of. I continue to be in limbo at 39 weeks. My OB would probably induce at 41 ½ weeks. It would suck if I had to wait that long...but, of course, suckage is all relative. At least everyone involved is still healthy. I’m just whiny.

3 comments:

MrsSpock said...

Labor tends to just suddenly start on its own. It feels like you'll never get there, though, when you are that big and uncomfortable.

By the way, thank you for that quote- they liked it so much, and I have no doubt some woman will read it and feel less alone...

ggop said...

I can't believe you are at work and dilated - wow!

lilkatie52 said...

Hope everyting is going well!! Good luck!