I have officially crossed over to the other side.
Buh-bye, paranoia. Well...buh-bye, at least, to the most extreme kind of paranoia. A couple of days ago, I had to pull my car over on my way to work because of extreme dizziness and shortness of breath. I eventually made it to work, but after I got there I realized I wasn’t going to be able to function unless I laid down. A co-worker wheeled me down to Occupational Health (remember, I work in a hospital), but rather than just let me lie down, the bastards there sold me out and made me see my OB across the street.
Just as I suspected, all my vitals were fine; outwardly, nothing was wrong. My OB told me she suspected I was just experiencing positional shortness of breath. But because she, like the nurses in Occ Health, wanted to cover her ass, she told me that in the Worst Case Scenario, I had a blood clot in my lungs, and only a CAT scan would be able to tell for sure.
Would you believe that I declined?
I truly believe in my gut that I am just experiencing normal pregnancy symptoms. But I must say that I now understand why some people say the last month can suck. I am torn between my need to get work and life all tidily sewn up before my (hopefully) impending delivery, and my need to just lie on my butt and do nothing.
Why Ann (you might say), why don’t you just do nothing? You deserve it!
Well, see, it’s not that simple. I’m supposed to be working right up until I deliver unless I get a doctor’s note. And even if I were to procure one of those, it would mean my 12 weeks would start way early, which messes up a lot of plans. So for now, I’m still working 40 hours a week.
Plus, our favorite pastor at church – the one who was our greatest supporter when Zach died – is leaving for another church. She’s in charge of youth group, and since M and I regularly help out, we’re the most obvious choice to pick up the slack. Except, of course, for the fact that we’re having a baby. So we’re trying to make lots of preparations now so we can relax for a month after the baby comes. And we’re trying to organize the kids to make a goodbye collage for the pastor.
Whew. No wonder I burst into tears last night after driving 20 minutes through heavy construction to see the optometrist, getting my shoe caught on the door and ruining it, spending 15 minutes filling out stupid forms, then finding out my insurance doesn’t cover an exam until October 1. Um.
And yet.
As I drove home from the optometrist, muttering angrily to myself, I saw a F.lig.ht for L.ife helicopter cruising over me. And I thought about the hospital to which it was likely carrying a critically ill patient—the same hospital where I delivered Zach. And I considered how all my aches and pains and frustrations and exhaustion were absolutely nothing compared to the emotional devastation I experience 10 months ago.
And I felt blessed.
P.S. Thank you all for sending along your e-mails. I have had room for all on my list! I'll probably be going invite-only in about a week; watch for updates. (And e-mail me if I totally screw this up!)
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Wow- this little one is going to be here soon. Is it September already?
I'm amazed at what variety of horrible symptoms are considered totally normal in pregnancy. If I felt as crappy as I do now, and I wasn't pregnant, I'd definitely stay home. I think you are probably right about the shortness of breath being normal. and I am glad you're becoming more of an optimist, although I hope you don't feel again like you did this morning.
If you've still got room on your list, I'd love to see this pregnancy through to the healthy little baby at the end.
jennifer.g.hovis@gmail.com
Hi, I am a lurker and would love an invite as well... I don't even now how I found your blog but I would love to see your baby as well...
klassencg at hotmail dot com
Oh Ann, too bad about the shortness of breath and all that followed.
Wishing you lot of strength in the final leg of this marathon. Its ok to be overwhelmed and its so nice for you to count your blessings!
All the best!
That shortness of breath sounds bad.. but glad it was nothing! Can you add me to your 'other' blog list (ceceruth AT comcast DOT net)
Glad things are going so well. Still keeping you in my prayers!!!! I am so proud of you for not freaking out and getting every test imaginable done...:)
You have come so far and I am so proud of you. Praying the last few weeks go smoothly so you don't have to use up any of your time before this sweet baby arrives!!!!Praying for a smooth, quick delivery.....
Hi! I am one of those terrible lurkers, but I have been reading your blog since you found out about Zach. I am so happy that you have a healthy baby on the way. That last month can be really hard, but it will go fast. Then you will have a beautiful baby. I would like to be on your list, if you still have room.
annasmama04@gmail.com
You are going to have a baby soon!
I rushed around during the end of my pregnancy and I wish now that I had taken more time to enjoy what was happening at the moment it was happening ... the very little things, like eating a healthy meal and feeling the baby wiggle and move all content and nourished afterwards. I can't wait for you to meet baby but I hope that you enjoy this time too!
Please make sure that I am on the list: alcornb at veri zon dot net
Would you please add me to your list?
babygodot at gmail
Thanks and good luck!
I lurk and would like to keep lurking...kristinangela (at) juno (dot) com
Post a Comment