A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Humbled

Wow. There’s nothing like announcing that you’re going invite-only to bring out the masses.

Well. Relatively speaking. It’s not like I’ve had 300 people asking for an invite—which is a good thing, because apparently Blogger limits me to 100! But I have to admit it’s been an ego boost to hear from all of you—especially you lurkers. Honestly, I feel like I’m in an episode of “This is Your Life.” Or maybe an observer at my own funeral. (Too morbid?) I am so completely touched by some of the e-mails you have sent me, and I’m humbled that you want to follow along on my journey.

I’m sad, too, because by going invite-only, I’m inevitably turning this blog into a different animal. I love the fact that a heartbroken mom/mom-to-be/wanna-be-mom-to-be/wanted-to-be-mom-to-be who has a story somewhat similar to mine can find me on this newfangled thing we call the Web. For that same reason, however (and many others) I have to protect my privacy. My greatest source of support could become my nightmare if I’m not careful. I prefer that this blog continue to be read by virtual strangers (that’s you guys!) rather than risk someone I know stumbling across it.

Now down to business: Everyone who asked for an invite has been added to my list. A few of you, however (specifically, I’m talking to Geohde, Dorian&Amp and Nurse Lochia) said I could find your e-mail in your profile. Um, it’s not there. Geohde, I know we’ve e-mailed before but for the life of me I can’t find your address! So could you just drop me an e-mail so I can add you to the hordes? (Ha!)

In pregnancy-related news, my friend A hosted the shower for me a week ago, and it was lovely. All my worries were for naught; the perfect number of people came to the shower. I continue to be overwhelmed by the support of friends.

Sleep, however, continues to elude. Oh, I get a fair amount—but I’m constantly waking up, shifting, settling down uncomfortably and repeating the same cycle about an hour later.

I must admit, too, that I’m starting to get my first round of the freak-outs. As in, “Holy crap, in about six weeks I’m actually going to be responsible for the well-being of another person!

M and I are also getting our butts in gear and finally ordering a monument for Zach’s grave. Between the opening and closing of the grave and the monument, they seriously do rob you blind. Sigh. But we can’t not put the marker there, because how would we even remember where he’s buried? Such is the problem with stillbirth that you never would even think about. If Zach had been born alive, we could’ve gotten life insurance for him and not had to pay for everything out of pocket.

17 comments:

Stacemoe said...

Glad you are finding out about all of us out here that support you!!! Happy you had a nice time at the shower....the time will go by so quickly, but I know in the middle of the night when you are tossing and turning, it seems like it is taking forever!!! I was good till about the last 3 weeks and then I was DONE!!! Hang in there!!! I am thinking and praying for you....Hoping you can get everything finalized for Zach and it is perfect. It is so sad the money that is made in these kinds of situations...again, I am thinking of you....

MrsSpock said...

I remember not being able to sleep the whole last tri- and of course that doesn't end until they go away to college...I do get a good night's sleep when J decides to sleep through the night- but he is always without fail up at 5-6 am.

Jen said...

Burial costs are absurd. And you're right that it is even more unfair in the case of a stillbirth where you have no means of accessing any insurance support. I hope you able to finalize everything without killing the finances. I know you all want the best for Zach and your memory of him.

Oh and I'm so completely with you on the freaking out bit. Lately my dreams have been filled with fears of inadequacy as a parent.

Mrs. Piggy said...

I dont know if I added my name to your list!!?!
Please do!!! kjbrusky At gmail.com

only 6 more weeks? and thats the maximum! baby could be here much sooner :) isnt it amazing when you think back to a year ago , and how you could have never envisioned this?
so wonderful!

lilkatie52 said...

Getting so close now. I too remember the tossin and turning at night, sometimes the best sleep I got was propped up on the couch!
You are a great mom! I still don't have the words to express my sorrow for you about Zach, but I am glad that you are able to finalize all his arrangements.

I was never able to comment before, because I did not have a google account, but today I made one, long time lurker coming out here!
I emailed you before but am not sure if I sent it to the right address so here is mine.

lilkatie52@aol.com

Samantha said...

I'm glad I'll be able to be part of the next phase of your life. It's different, yes, but at least you've had a chance to be out and meet all of us!

ggop said...

I'm so sorry you have to deal with the absurd financial costs of the gravestone in addition to the heartbreak and pain.

Glad to hear you are just 6 weeks away. Last leg of the marathon. If its not too painful, can you please post a quick prep guide before you check in to the hospital/birth center? It will be useful..

Dorian said...

Oops, my email was part of my profile, but I didn't have the box checked to show it. Sorry about that. Would you still add me?

Geohde said...

OOps- I thought it was, I really did!

missionimpossibleinfertile at yahoo dot com

J

Anonymous said...

I also can't remember if I sent you my email to add to your list. If not, I'd love to continue to read your blog when you go private.
gebby5 at suddenlink dot net
Michelle
aretheytwins.wordpress.com

Shelly said...

I hope that you can add me to you list of people, shelsam@alltel.net
I lost our baby zach to Trisomy 18 almost 3 years ago.
I'm praying that Everything keeps going wonderfully for you. HUGS

Confessions of a momaholic said...

would love to be "invited" to the invite only. have been following a long time!

rebeccabruce423@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Please also add me to your list.
rebjane@comcast.net

Nurse Lochia said...

Sorry about that. Here's my address: jecarpe31@yahoo.com

nancy said...

Did you send it out yet? Or just in your list. Just making sure I made your cut. heh.

Noemi said...

I would love to continue to follow your journey. emi930@yahoo.com

Aurelia said...

Add me! please!

and do send out reminder emails that you are posting something new.

it really does help!