Wow. Within a half hour, I had two separate requests for an update and realized that being away for this long is bound to spark imaginations.
So let me answer the basic questions: Yes, I am still pregnant. No, I am not having contractions. As of yesterday, I was 1 cm dilated and 50 percent effaced. My OB estimates the baby is about 7 1/2 pounds.
And, oh yeah, I’m a mess.
Now wait, before you go all panicky on me, let me preface this post by saying that there is nothing wrong with me or the baby (that I know of), and that life is basically status quo.
Except for my hormones. And my back spasms. And my pregnancy-induced carpel tunnel syndrome. And the fact that I burst into tears this morning at work, and, in fact, feel like crying just thinking about how I burst into tears.
I am a planner. So yes, waiting around to go into labor is rough. However, at least I can plan for the unplannable. I am ready to have to go to the hospital at a moment’s notice—or a few hours’ notice, more likely. Does that make sense?
This morning, however, my boss walked into my office and said that my hospital has a disaster drill planned for 5:15 p.m. tomorrow. They need a Public Information Officer to participate, and she’s not available. Could I do it?
I normally work 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Starting last week Wednesday, I conduct a children’s handbell choir at 6 p.m. on Wednesdays. I’ve been trying to get in as much time with them as possible before I go on “maternity leave” (which will probably amount to a few weeks with a different conductor).
So my boss brought in the other PR person to ask if at least one of us could do it. Technically, this is my job. But the idea of an unplanned late night at work and the prospect of having to find a replacement conductor at the last minute was enough to push me to almost-tears. My co-worker said she would do it (even though it’s an inconvenience for her, too), and I’m still feeling guilty about it. Hell, I’m crying even thinking about it.
Overreact much?
I am literally limping around the office because my lower back hurts so much. At home, I can’t do much more than lay around. While M is being wonderful about all of this, I hate having to ask him to do things that I would normally do. Under ordinary circumstances, we have a pretty darned good division of household tasks. But our house is filthy. So I had to ask him last night if he would be able to clean the house this weekend.
While I sit on my butt watching TV.
Honestly, I know I will only be 38 weeks on Thursday, but I am SOOO ready to have this baby.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I really want you to sit on your bottom and watch TV while your house is being cleaned. In my opinion, this is not only warranted but expected behavior for you at 38 weeks. Rest and be well!
I read a quote once that said "If pregnancy was a book, the last chapter would be cut". The last month of pregnancy is so uncomfortable and even while knowing that it is best for baby, you do wish that he will come! For me it was the discomfort, plus becoming really impatient to meet my little one. And I can fully sympathize with the hormone induced tears! Not long to go!
I remember those tears, and hormone induced mood swings! It just means you are normal!! OMGoodness only 2 more weeks tops!! YA!
I think 37 weeks was about when it started to get really rough for me. Hopefully this baby will be prompt, as I'm sure you can't wait to meet him!
I agree-- rest, rest, rest. Or call a cleaning lady and then rest. Having the house be filthy is not good for your state of mind, but don't do it-- until you are 40 weeks, and then you will be up scrubbing the floors all night to try to bring on labor, lol...
By, the way, it's time to move "Baby Godot" to the "Promised Land" list. Little H arrived last week, healthy and in great form! Congrats JF and SF!
Yeah, I agree with everyone. Those last few weeks are torture. You can do it!! Iit's okay to say no without feeling guilty, too. You shouldn't feel like you need to do anything except sit on your butt.
From everything I've read, I'm not looking forward to the side effects of that last week of pregnancy. My back is already starting to hurt a little just thinking about it.
Take care of yourself - if you need to sit on your butt, do that.
For me, with the fibro and scoliosis, the last trimester was torture. My husband had to help dress me and help me get in and out of the bathtub. My sisters did my laundry and my mom cleaned our house. I felt like a loser but, honestly, you can only do what you can do. The first 6 weeks with a baby you will be glad for all the laying around you are doing now.
SO SO SO CLOSE NOW! Best of luck to you! I hope your delivery goes perfect. We'll all be thinking of you!
Hey Ann,
I missed this update in my feed reader so late to comment.
Does your state allow upto max 4 weeks before birth off with a doctor's note? Reading your post makes me convinced the time off is necessary.
About the weepyness I can totally relate, its happening to me too of late. Totally normal.
Take care of yourself and take help. Don't feel upset about it even if you are the most independent woman in the world.
We'd love an update!!!!
Post a Comment