A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Monday, September 24, 2007

Settling back into normalcy

It wasn’t until Ms. C asked for an update that I realized it’s been two weeks since I last posted. Two weeks! I guess the reason I’ve been MIA is that I don’t have all that much to say. My days consist of: a) counting down the days until I can quit my job after having my baby (I want to return to freelance writing, and I’m bored to tears by work these days); b) watching reruns of Grey’s Anatomy in preparation for the new season; c) trying not to completely bore M with my complaints of excessive peeing (no, it doesn’t get better in the second trimester) and mild to moderate constipation; d) trying to put together lesson plans for the rugrats I’ve been flattered into teaching handbells once a week at church; and e) feeling guilty for spending too much time in front of the TV.

Am I starting to show? Well, yes, a teensy bit. After losing two pounds during my First Trimester Starvation Fest, I’ve gained four pounds so far. I’m wearing maternity pants to work because they’re just so darned comfortable.

One thing I wasn’t expecting was that it would be awkward to tell people I’m pregnant. I don’t mean family and close friends—it’s fun to think up unique ways to tell them. I’m talking about friendly acquaintances. Picture me in church, walking up to a friend and telling them I have some exciting news.

Me: I’m pregnant!
Them: Oh my goodness, that’s wonderful news! When are you due?
Me: March 25. We’re shooting for an Easter baby.
Awkward silence, during which both parties are wondering what else there is to say.
Them: Well, that’s just wonderful news. I’m so happy for you.

I never expected to feel so strange about sharing the most exciting news I’ve ever had. At this point, I almost prefer to have people find out behind my back so I don’t have to tell them myself. M wanted to make an announcement during the “Celebrations” time before church, but I forbid him. I felt like people would think we were bragging or something. I was probably being a little overly sensitive, but oh well.

8 comments:

Samantha said...

I suppose I'm so used to thinking about how awkward it is as an infertile to learn about other people's pregnancies, that I hadn't really thought how awkward it must be on the other side.

I think during pregnancy no news is good news.

ms. c said...

THANK YOU for the update. This girl starts to worry, you know!

I can't believe that you are already in maternity pants. My fall pants form last year all fit- I sometimes feel that I will be 7 months along and people will just think of me as fat (or just a fat-ter than usual!)

I agree with you ont he weirdness/awkardness of telling people, even some of my family. I, too, feel like it's bragging. I don't want to hurt anyone and have them feel the way I did for so long... The rest of my family thinks this is bizare, I'm so glad thot you get it.

Here's to more TV, and more uneventful days!

Geohde said...

I never told people I was pregnant. I couldn't do it.

SO I had people coming up to me and asking (which must've taken guts to do), but then again I'm pretty scrawny and it was kinda obvious from ten weeks or so.

People will work it out soon enough since the bump only grows ;)

Glad to hear all is going well,

xx

J

N7 said...

omgggggggg you are so right about it being awkward! You would think you would be so excited to advertise or scream it! But there's some sheepish, shy feeling that overcomes you. I'd rather tell one loudmouth at my job and have it spread! those who don't know will soon know when I need to be transported in a wheelbarow....then they can feel safe enough to ask ME the question!

MrsSpock said...

I never felt weird about telling people at work. I guess we nurses do spend a lot of time talking about bodily functions, including our own, and we all love the blow by blow. Because coworkers had to watch my patients when I went for treatments, word got around about the IF, so everyone has been really excited for me and wanting to pat my still flat belly.

Hey, I guess I do work with a great group of people.

Michael Evans said...

Great to hear that you are doing well! Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

I also feel awkward telling people and have stopped doing so. Even when they (some, not all) ask I feel they are doing it out of politeness and not because they are genuinely interested. Only our families and close friends have true interest!
Also I hate to admit it but (dare I say) I am getting a tad bored with the baby stuff. I mean after you have read all your pregnancy books, painted the nursery, bought the furniture, have a closet stocked with clothes, diapers, onesies and wipes and you are still only 23 weeks what else is there to do but watch reruns of Grey's Anatomy??? Glad to hear everything is progressing well for you!!

ultimatejourney said...

I completely agree with you about the awkwardness. I haven't told people at work yet because I feel so weird about it.

I'm glad things are going well for you, and welcome to the second trimester!