When my relationship with M started to become serious, the inevitable question of where we were going to live (we lived two hours apart) came up. It was I who decided (rather quickly) that I would move away from my hometown to live with M. Why? I wanted to seize control of the situation before it got out of hand, even if that meant moving away from my family and friends. That way, it would be my choice—not just something that “happened to me.”
The weekend M proposed, I knew it was coming. We had shopped for a ring several weeks beforehand, and my powers of deduction led me to believe this was the weekend. I was ready. Oh, was I ready. In fact, when we talked on the phone during the week prior, I even suggested we go on a hike somewhere in the area. Why? Because I wanted to ensure M would have a romantic place in which to propose to me. Yes, that’s right—I tried to plan my own engagement, for fear of having to wait too long. Little did I know, he had planned to propose during a picnic lunch, so it didn’t matter where we were before and after.
My whole life has been about control. Being a perfectionist doesn’t help; it means I not only have to be in control of everything that happens in my life, but it has to happen exactly as I had envisioned it. Now, don’t get me wrong—I’m OK with the occasional mishap or delay. But I have to be prepared for the possibility of a mishap. My former roommate liked to tease me about something I said once: “I don’t mind surprises, as long as I know they’re coming.”
Fortunately (?), I was prepared for IF. As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve always known there was something wrong with my ovulation, and I assumed it would take us longer to conceive than most couples. However, the part that kills me is that I have no idea how long. And I have absolutely no control over when I get pregnant. I can’t plan it. Perhaps the reason IVF is so appealing to me is because it happens under controlled circumstances. You don’t just sit around and wait for things to happen; you take an active role in trying to make your body work like it should. However, as many of you know very well, there are no guarantees in IVF. Which is why I know I need to exhaust all other options before taking that step.
You might have noticed that, however often I try to blow off the statistics, I’m sorta obsessed with them. Why? You guessed it—because studying the statistics of each treatment option is the only way I can pretend I have some sort of control over this whole process. Science (in particular, medicine) frustrates me, because it’s not cut-and-dry like mathematics—therefore, it’s more difficult to control. One and one don’t always equal two. In some people, they equal one or three. In others, one of the “ones” is actually defective, but we don’t find out about it for three years. And studies have shown that in some cases, one and one actually both have numerous unforeseen side effects. You get the picture.
So how do I take control of this situation? Well, I don’t. Instead, I analyze it to death, and hope that one and one, someday, will make two.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Control freak here too. I don't even like surprises when I know they're coming :) I, too, was pretty sure my husband was going to propose the night he did.
I love stats, and math, and anything predictable. Just one of the many reasons IF is kicking my ass. (That, and I didn't see it coming at all.)
I hope things start adding up for you really soon.
IF is not good for trying to plan your life. I can only wish that IVF really did offer a lot of control, but everytime I've tried a cycle, there's been some big ass, and usually not pleasant surprise. So feel free to exhaust your options!
Hi Ann! Thanks for the luck over at my place! I had to laugh at you planning your own engagement! Thats hilarious. I agree, the lack of control is the killer isn't it?
Thanks for visiting my blog! May I add you to my frequently read list?
Yup you nailed it, the lack of control is totally the problem.
Thanks for your nod on my blog.
Wouldn't it be great if IF treatments were as reliable and predictable as math? Then i could work out the equation and either kick back and relax knowing my cycles will work... or just throw in the towel. Blech
I am hoping the numbers work in your favor!
I can certainly relate to your feelings. I am ok with the idea that my body is not working as it should. But I am NOT ok with the fact that there are no guarantees that any/all of the treatments will work. I can't stand "wasting time" and being ineffective. It makes me anxious and angry and sad.
You are not alone in your feelings!
I am with you on the control-freak thing. I "decided" that my husband and I were going to get married (no proposal). It annoys the bejeebies out of me that I cannot fit children into my five year plan, predict the finances we'll need to grow our family, or plan when to get that Masters Degree. Argh!
argh -- i so hear you on the control issues. i'm not one for the math side of it all, but as a health librarian, i'm always researching and reading as a way to control the situation. . . not that it helps in any way!
Just found this post. This sums me up too. I NEED to know what's happening and what may happen if it does. I also figured we would have problems conceiving however I thought we were ok with the possibility of it not happening. I didn't reckon on it becoming my whole world.
I always say we could cope with any outcome (some more easily than other, granted) if I only knew what the outcome would be. It's the not knowing that gets to me.
Post a Comment