There is a musical currently playing on Broadway called “Avenue Q.” It’s sort of the antithesis of “Sesame Street” and stars 20- and 30-something puppets and humans with foul mouths. The opening song, “It Sucks to Be Me,” features the main characters singing about how much their lives suck. One character just lost his job, one wishes she had a boyfriend, two others are stuck in an intolerable roommate situation. Most of the musical is about how difficult life is for everyone. The closing song begins, “Everyone’s a little bit unsatisfied/Everyone goes ‘round a little empty inside.” It sounds depressing, but the musical is actually hilarious.
When I start to feel sorry for myself because of my infertility, I just think about that song, and about the people in my life. We’re all stranded in lifeboats in the middle of the ocean; our boats just look a little different from each other. Here’s a sampling:
--Our good friend S, a 29-year-old guy, just sent out a mass e-mail telling his friends that his girlfriend just broke up with him on the phone. Just a few weeks ago, when M talked to him about the relationship, he said it was going “really, really well.” I wouldn’t be surprised if he had been looking at rings. This is a guy who was formerly a “playboy,” but it seemed to all of us that he had finally found the right person with whom to settle down. Now it’s back to square one. In the meantime, he’s still substitute teaching because he lost his job a couple of years ago.
--My co-worker J was so happy she and her husband had finished their last payment on their minivan (they have two kids). Then, less than a month after that last payment, it broke down. Engine failure. Warranty expired at 100,000 miles, and they had 102,000 miles on it. It would cost $3,500 to repair it, so instead, they’re going to do a Band-Aid repair (about $800) and go shopping for another car. So much for saving money. They even considered canceling their upcoming vacation.
--My BIL (the husband of the SIL who talks about “when we have kids”) is a CPA with his own business. For three months every year, he lives in the office, working 12-14 hours, seven days a week. My SIL basically has to raise their toddler alone during tax season. This will be their life until he retires. It gets harder on her every year.
--My friend K has a degree in film from Northwestern University, but she hasn’t been able (or motivated) to find a job in her field. So instead, she works at a store in the mall and lives at home with her mom (she’s 29). Although recently, she found a new guy, so temporarily it doesn’t suck to be her.
--A year ago, a man at our church had a stroke/brain aneurysm. He was left severely disabled, and his wife and five young children nursed him until he died about six months later. Now, the wife is left to cope with raising her family alone.
When I start to feel sorry for myself, I try instead to think about all the good things in my life and all the reasons why it doesn’t “suck to be me.”
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This is so true. Thanks for your comment too, btw, in the same line of thought. We do all go through down times in our lives at different points. I remember times where I was thinking "is this really my life?" when things were going well. I knew I was going to have a downswing sooner or later. My cousin used to be jealous that things went easily for me. Now, she's married with two adorable kids that came easily, and the shoe is on the other foot. So, I need to keep remembering this too. Things change. Life has ups and downs. This is a down time, but everyone has down times, even though they come in different colors. Thanks for this post and for the perspective.
hi ann, thanks for visiting my blog. i couldn't find your email to respond to your question so, here goes...
No, I think we needed to do the IUI's. Partly becuase we just didn't know if they might work, but mostly because I think I had to go through those failing before I was ready to accept IVF. But I do wish I hadn't wasted so much time avoiding IVF. I wish I had just been willing to do it as soon as my RE said it was our best option, instead of wasting a whole year putting it off. But the year off was good for me and my marriage too. I think we have to take each step as we're ready for it. But definitely the hardest thing about IVF for me was just accepting we had to do it. Once you get there, taking each step at a time, the actual process is not that big of a deal. That's my experience anyway.
sorry for the long reply. you can have your blog back now :P
Hi Ann. Thanks for the nice comment. I think what you have posted is great wisdom. Sometimes, we have to focus on what our bodies do, instead of the thing that they don't, what we have, instead of the thing we don't. It is natural to focus on that missing piece, but when you can step back and see the big picture, you are better for it.
Good luck to you on your journey!
I found your post through Mel's list and I'm glad I did. I think it's important that at least a few times during our nightmarish experiences we try to take some time to realize that we are handling what we've been given and that so too are others. Sometimes I catch myself saying in my head, 'damn I wish that was my problem' when a friend complains, but the fact is, I know that I have to deal with my own backyard instead of commenting on other's. We've all got weeds to tend to.
Visiting via the Mel's round up . . .
A good friend keeps telling me, "Life is fair - we are all complaining." It is good to remember that you can always find someone worse off and to appreciate what we have. Thanks for sharing
Post a Comment