A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Monday, April 16, 2007

Screw the statistics

As someone who just started taking metformin (and the side effects have been very minimal so far, thank God), I was not very comforted to read the doc’s latest post over at Infertility Blog. According to this very recent study, met does little, if anything, to help women with PCOS get pregnant. And, of course, according to other sources (the Internet is vast, my friends, vast) the statistics are equally as grim for Clomid, Femara, IUI, and pretty much every other method of procreating short of IVF for PCOS-ers (I realize I’m over-generalizing here, but stick with me—I’m trying to make a point).

So I’ve come to this conclusion: Screw the statistics. For me, achieving pregnancy will be like finding a needle in a haystack, a wolf in sheep’s clothing…oh wait—wrong metaphor. It’ll take nothing short of a miracle to get me pregnant. It’s a good thing I’m a Christian, because my faith that God will find a way to make me a mother is the only thing that’s keeping me going right now.

I know there are many of you who are very, very sick of hearing people say it will all happen “in God’s time.” And believe me, I don’t like anyone telling me that, either. But it doesn’t mean I can’t comfort myself with my faith. For me, it’s a comfort that God has it all worked out in that file marked “Ann’s Life.” I had thought it would be impossible to find the perfect man for me, yet lo and behold, M came into my life (I’ll tell you that story some other time).

So far, the science of the human body has failed me miserably. I’m going to do what I can to overcome the science part of it all, but I’ve never claimed to be a biology expert. I’ve just got to keep believing. It’s all I can do, right?

2 comments:

Baby Blues said...

I'm back on Metformin too. I don't mind if there's studies saying the Met does little. Right now I'll take anything!

I do believe it will happen in God's time. Because He is the only one who could answer our prayers. I take comfort in that too.

Kristen said...

Sometimes I wonder about these studies. Everyone responds differently and I don't think REs would prescribe meds that had NO effect whatsoever. There must be some success or why would they waste their time?

It is always hard to hear it will happen "in God's time". I know I can't control everything no matter how Type-A I become but it is hard to accept that you have no control over your own body. When I had my miscarriage, people said it "wasn't in His plan" and it hurt me so much. Why wasn't it part of His plan? Am I not deserving? I have had to just let go and have faith that some things happen randomly and just suck but despite this, He will lead me to where I'm supposed to wind up.