A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Thursday, April 26, 2007

My dream babies

I dreamed last night that I was pregnant. It was one of those dreams that feels very, very real—until you wake up.

The details are a bit hazy, but…I was at the mall (?), talking to a friend I hadn’t seen for a while, when suddenly I had this dawning realization I was pregnant—with twins. And that I was far enough along to be showing a teensy bit.

You wanna know what my first thought was? “Oh, good—now I don’t have to suffer through the first three months of worrying I’ll have a miscarriage.” I was thrilled to have skipped through the entire IF and first trimester process, with all the pain and heartache behind me already. Like I was magically transported into my future.

I woke up feeling terrible. Something wonderful that I believed to be true was not, in fact, true. Yet I’m not sure whether that ruined my day or not. I’m bummed, of course, that I’m not pregnant. But man, did it feel good to feel that good!

Here’s the thing: I know, without a doubt, that I will be pregnant someday. However, how in the world will I be able to handle the time between now and then?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if those dreams are the best or the worst. I always love it when I'm having them, love how good I feel when I'm asleep. But when I wake up, I'm disconcerted and it feels like the world has just fallen out from under my feet.

ultimatejourney said...

I still believe I'll be pregnant someday too, but it's really hard to think about everything I have to go through between now and then. Hugs!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I'm with Sharah. Those dreams feel so real and you feel so happy that waking up either means an extreme drop or extreme hope for the day.

Anonymous said...

i've actually never had a pregnant dream. i've two friends who occasionally dream that they give birth to kittens, but i've never had any sort of pregnant/birth dream. wether or not that is a blessing or a curse would likely depend on the day i had the dream. watch out, now that i've put into print that i've never had one, tonight will be the night!

one of the girls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ms. c said...

I so know what you mean about the "I know it's gonna happen" feeling, but not knowing how to handle the time between.
I hope your dream comes true...

green girl said...

I totally know what you mean - when you've got what you wanted so much, and then you wake up and it's not true! It hurts.

I have pregnant dreams too - but really weird ones: like when I have the baby and it's really really tiny, and I'm saying to myself "It's okay, I will still love it", or a dream I had years ago that I had a baby and then it turned into a hamster and then ran away... wtf?? :)

I sincerely hope that your dream will come true...

K said...

I've never had pregnant dreams, but I have dreams all the time that I have a baby, or babies. Last week I dreamed that R and I were entertaining a ton of people, which we do quite frequently, but we were somewhere other than our house, and suddenly in the midst of serving cocktails and hors d'oeuvres I realized we had a newborn at home and had forgotten all about her - had walked right out the door hours ago and left her in her bassinet!

I've also dreamed several times that I'm walking around with this baby in my arms, and marveling at how gorgeous he is, how well behaved, how sweet, how smiley - and then all of a sudden I realize it's OUR baby, not someone else's. I HATE waking up from those kinds of dreams.

My mother told me that in her second trimester of pregnancy with me, she had a very vivid dream, which she remembers to this day: she dreamed she went into labor, went to the hospital, and they told her she'd given birth to a chicken. She can't talk about this without laughing hysterically now - but back then, it was quite traumatic. She thinks it's because she was reading all sorts of books while she was pregnant that showed pictures of embryos, and several of them showed the similarities at a certain stage of development between a human embryo, and - a chicken embryo. :)