A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Friday, June 15, 2007

Bitchin'

I’m sick.

So what else is new? Honestly, I feel like my health has completely gone downhill over the past four months. Since February, I have had: hemorrhoids for the first time; a ruptured corpus luteal cyst that sent me to the ER in a panic; severe springtime allergies that have made it impossible to wear my contacts for the time being; an upper back injury, probably caused by playing large handbells for hours at a time, that sent me into the money-gobbling office of a chiropractor; and finally, my current ailment — bronchitis. I had a miserable day at work on Wednesday, stayed home on Thursday and am rasping my way through the day today.

I’m convinced everyone at work thinks I’m one of those people. You know—the ones who always find something wrong with themselves. But hell, I’m only 29!

It doesn’t help that I’m a wimp. I hate not feeling well, and I often make sure everyone around me knows it.

My mother is convinced that, should I ever become pregnant, I’ll have to quit work well before the baby is due because I'll be so sick and uncomfortable. I used to think she was full of it. Now I’m not so sure.

7 comments:

ms. c said...

Hope you feel better soon, Ann. I'll be thinking about you.

ggop said...

You know its way better for you to be at home than sit coughing at work with bronchitis. Hope you feel better.

I have a very low pain threshold and go on a pity fest myself when sick. (I know, big baby!)
gg

Samantha said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I had one of those springs last year, a cold, then toxic throw-up bug, then back injury, then hospitalization for OHSS... I know how you feel, it seems like you'll never get better!

Get well soon!

Pamela T. said...

Bummer. Having had more than a few cases of bronchitis and chronic allergies, I feel for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a healthy outlook.

Geohde said...

Sorry you're feeling like crap.

When (not IF) you have a baby, take the time off anyway. Enjoy being pregnant. Stuff work :)

That's my plan, and I'm happy to freely admit I'll enjoy as much lazy time as I can manage (should I ever get pregnant again) before the baby is born.

There are very few times in life at which it is socially acceptable not to be working. Obvious knocked-up-ness is one of them in my book.

JF said...

Man, bronchitis is no fun. I had it a couple years back and it knocked. me. flat. People I didn't know were coming up to me at work -- members of the public -- and saying, "Oh, poor thing! You're still coughing?" All I wanted to do was sleep. Hope you feel better quickly!

(Another handbell ringer? I played for about 15 years, but I'm not in a choir right now. But I was generally way up on G6/A6 -- the ones that cause ear trouble, not back trouble. ;) )

megan said...

i'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well. don't worry about what other people think, though. the best thing you can do for yourself is to take care of yourself. part of wellness is knowing when to take it easy.