A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

When God closes a door, he opens a window

Wanna know a surefire way to get your mind off waiting for an AF that will never come? Have a window fall in on you.

Well, it wasn’t quite that dramatic, but yes, we currently have a double-hinged window lying on the carpet, rather than in the window frame like it should be. M is out of town on business, so I decided I’d be really productive and wash the windows last night (we have the type of windows that fold in so you can wash the outside). When I was on the last window, I was leaning on it at an awkward angle and it fell out of its hinge. Then, I heard a sharp “ping” and saw that the spring on the hinge had folded up on itself. Meaning I was screwed.

After 10 minutes, it was obvious I was never going to be able to reinstall this heavy, heavy window by myself, so I called for reinforcements—a neighbor man that I vaguely knew. He and I worked on it fruitlessly for about an hour, during which time M was frantically trying to search online for window manufacturers. Finally, we gave up, put some plastic on the window and I enlisted my FIL (who lives 35 minutes away) to stop by after work tomorrow. He’s a mechanical engineer (as is M, who was, as I said, tragically out of town), so hopefully he’ll be able to make it fit. In the meantime, I’ve tracked down the previous owner of the house to find out the name of the window installer. I love talking to him because he has a British accent. To all of my UK readers, I LOVE YOUR ACCENTS! You could be swearing at me and I would still be smiling.

4 comments:

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

At least it did make for a good distraction. Isn't it sad what the stress of a 2ww causes us to value? :-)

Good luck!

ultimatejourney said...

That sounds a little TOO exciting! Help is on the way, though. If only IF were so easy to fix.

Anonymous said...

That happened to me and Constance last fall. We came home after seeing a show in Downtown Chicago, and our living room window was missing.

Glad it didn't hit you!

Anonymous said...

I agree, if my boss had been British (back when I was working) I wouldn't have minded all of the work he dumped on me, as long as he did it with a British accent.

Life goes better with a British accent. Sounds like a marketing tagline: Drink UK Coffee, because life goes better with a British accent.