My friend J (remember, the one who is battling secondary infertility?) was recently lamenting the possibility that she hadn’t gotten the timing right on her most recent cycle. Turns out, she and hubby had sex the day before she may have ovulated. Me: “Well, that’s good, right?” She: “Well, we didn’t have ‘baby-making’ kind of sex.” Me: (wondering if she means oral sex) “Did his pen*is enter your va*gina?” She: “Well, yes, but I didn’t put my legs up in the air afterward.”
Huh. I have never, ever hoisted my legs in the air after baby-making sex. (Should I be? I wondered.) I scoffed at her, telling her it was an urban legend. She hedged, telling me I should ask my RE.
So I did. Just as he was walking out of the room, I shamefacedly asked him whether putting legs in the air would help at all. Swallowing a grin, he shook his head. “Sperm swim,” he said, and closed the door.
HA! Let that be a lesson for every woman who has ever lounged in this very uncomfortable position after each and every act of sex. Women of the world, lower your legs!!!
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
23 comments:
Ha! Yeah I've also heard its a myth but still can't help doing it!!
That totally cracks me up, but I'm like Amy - I cant help it. I don't raise them per se, but I, uh, TMI here... sleep with it in, thinking that if they're slow swimmers maybe I'm helping make sure they're not having to fight so hard. The only time I don't do that is when I'm super bitchy and I think 'fuck IF' and I get up and pee after and let it all flow out. It sadly makes me feel empowered to be all HA HA, I didn't obey the rules! Even if they're not real rules.
LOL! Thanks for asking that question. I've always wondered.
OMG, that is too funny! There's way more myths surrounding how to get pregnant than truths, that's for sure!
HA! That is toooooo funny. I also have never done that - but sometimes I think I should give it a whirl - you know, like eating pineapple??!?!
When mere children manage to get PG, and they most certainly don't put their legs up afterwards, isn't that proof enough for her that she timed her sex right???
Yipes! I am sorry you have to ask these kinds of questions for her...
ok... but I admit I STILL put my legs up. And I NEVER go pee right afterward. The really sad part is, a part of me thinks I might get pg this way... after 4.5 years of IF and then there is the fact that I DON'T ovulate (as in never in my life, not 'only once in a while')... yep, the fact the no egg is ever released won't matter, but as long as my legs are in the air, I've got a chance! HAW!
I've heard the same thing but it seems to be an automatic reaction because when we have sex during ovulation time my legs and hips pop up like they are spring loaded.
hehehehe. I am so glad you asked this! dh and I have had a debate going on for YEARS! And never even thought of asking the RE! No more hip-propping-legs-in-the-air-sex for me!!!
I'm dying. Too funny. My sis tried to give me position advice. I just nodded. Now me and hubby treat it as a amusing post-sex joke. I think it is great you asked your RE!
SO funny! and i'm so glad to know that even while i know it's a myth i still can't help myself from doing silly things like that....i try to keep it on the down low though, just making sure that my pelvis is tilted toward the sky!
HA HA! You know the very idea of someone having actual "baby-making sex" cracks me up too! I wonder what that is like?
If I knew how hard it was to get pregnant...believe me I would have had a WHOLE lot more fun when I was younger! :)
It's simple. Baby making sex is the kind where the pen*s is in the vag*na and ejaculation occurs. Despite all myths about toilet seats.
Eggs and sperm have no way of knowing whether we *enjoyed* it, or lay down with legs vertical afterwards!
I am ashamed to admit this, but I visited a psychic last fall in my sheer desperation, and she told me I needed to prop my hips. Yes, I am a big tool and I propped them for months afterwards, wondering if my habit of peeing after the hootchie-cootchie to avoid UTIs was the cause of my IF. I quit doing it when I found out I wasn't ovulating well.
Thanks for the smile over breakfast. I woke up feeling a little down today but your post and the comments that followed reminded me that I'm not alone in some of the absurd things I've done...
I have heard that myth as well. And I have tried to hang out with my legs up for 20 minutes afterward but I always have to pee so I don't.
It sucks that we have to worry about these things!
Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.
Ha,
I know it is a myth BUT I got pregnant the first month I put my legs in the air! After 8 months of no pregnancy.
That said, I haven't been able to get pregnant for the last 17 cycles despite having my legs firmly in the air!
Still, as with the acupuncture, eating pineapple and wearing a dragonfly pendant, it surely can't do any harm.
legs promptly lowered as I sheepishly utter a grin at my ignorance.
thanks!
It's a myth! Holy crap, I feel stupid. On the other hand, we usually have some pretty good conversations while we wait.
I fell for the bicycle legs after sex assvice at one stage. If anything it was good for a laugh.
Bwah-hahaha! I love it!
Is it stupid of me to think that, even though your RE disagrees, propping my hips up will let gravity help slow spermies at least get through the cervix? It is uncomfortable, and I do feel like an idiot with my feet in the air, but hubby and I always have a good conversation during that time. I do notice a substantial difference in how much "stuff" comes back out of me when I do the hips up waiting game. However, when it's not my fertile time I definitely enjoy the freedom of moving however and whenever I want...
Post a Comment