A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Goodbye, Dr. Hot

The good news (I’ve grown tired of “burying the lead” for dramatic effect): Today’s ultrasound showed everything is completely normal. Heartbeat is at 140 bpm, measurements show the embryo is 7w1d. Technically, I’m 7w3d, but Dr. Hot says that’s no problem whatsoever. M and I now have a pretty little picture to scrapbook.

From the beginning of this pregnancy, I’ve wanted someone to look at me like I’m completely insane for worrying so much. That, to me, is reassurance. Dr. Hot did just that today. He even joked a little, after I spent the entire appointment anxiously asking questions like, Was he sure the measurements really were fine? There really wasn’t anything abnormal? After removing the wand, Dr. Hot said, “Well, I hate to tell you this, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with you or the baby.” Later, he reminded me (all in the most loving way possible) that women have babies are the time. Then I reminded him that the women who come to this clinic have spent a damn long time trying to get to this point, and they sure as hell don’t want to give the baby up without a fight. He nodded--he knows very well what I meant; he just wanted to reassure me.

At the end of the appointment, he shook M’s hand, and as I put my hand out for a shake, he hugged me instead. Um, awkward moment. But it was very sweet. I jokingly told him as he left that I hoped I would never see him again. He paused (taken aback, maybe?), then said he hoped I would at least send them pictures.

And that was it. M and I walked out of the clinic feeling like we were on top of the world. Yes, we know we still have a long way to go, but we feel good for now.

On the downside, I’m getting sicker and sicker. We’re going to State Fair tonight with M’s parents, and I pray I’ll be able to at least get a corn dog down.

Oh, and here’s a little nugget for you to chew on: We traveled to southeastern Missouri last weekend to visit my grandparents. When I told my grandma I was pregnant, the first thing she said was, “Well, I hope we’ll still be around by the time the baby comes.” Don’t you love how my grandma doesn’t have an ounce of self-absorption in her?

15 comments:

ms. c said...

OMG, have I been waiting all day for this post, ro what??!! (Yes, indeed, your u/s is all about me.)

Ann, this is great news! Yay baby!! I'm so excited for you and M.

I hope your good spirits contnue, and have a good time at the fair. Enjoy the corn dog, if you can!

You know I'm with ya every step of the way (quite literally.) Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the perfect ultrasound!!! You are definitely on your way now and not too far from that long awaited 12 week mark!! But in reality, the worrying never ends and it probably gets even worse after the baby is born!! Best of luck - I am so glad the femara worked for you!! lisa

ultimatejourney said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! Good luck with the corn dog ... I don't think I could do it :)

Natalie said...

Your grandma rocks - that's too funny.

Nearlydawn said...

YAY! Way to go baby! :)

I sure hope the corndog goes down and stays down. Don't ride any of the rides with those "no pregnant ladies" signs, cause THAT MEANS YOU!!! Woooo Hooooo!!!

Congrats!

Samantha said...

Congrats on the graduation! Great news there! I hope you will feel better, though.

You grandmother sounds just like D's. You'd better visit me before I die!

N7 said...

Congratulations on the great ultrasound!!! And congrats for having a hot doctor- whoah....
And...ow grandma! You really know how to stop someone in their tracks at a wonderful moment and make them speechless! LOL! What do you say to THAT comment?
Hope you feel better as time passes- you have some great news to remind you of why feeling like poo is so awesome sometimes :)

Anonymous said...

Your Grandma sounds like a wonderful, giving person, LOL! I'm sure she ment well though.

Congratulations on the wonderful checkup!! Here's to hoping the remaining months fly by with the same lack of issues!!

Princesses in Muddy Puddles said...

Congratulations on the scan result! :)

Schatzi said...

Congrats on the great us! Glad to hear everything looks in order. Here's hoping you never have to get in Dr. Hot's stirrups ever again!:)

MrsSpock said...

I am so glad the baby is doing well :)

Pamela T. said...

I'm sure it's no fun to feel ill, but I've heard it said that the sicker you feel, the healthier the pregnancy (okay -- it's probably an old wive's tale but the outcome is meant to convey goodness!)

I'm guessing the parting with Dr. Hot was bittersweet. Glad your on your way (without suppositories!)

Wishing you continued success, Ann!

Geohde said...

I'm so sorry that you're feeling puke-y, but it is a good sign.

I never got sick, mind you, that's just my total immunity to the puke inspiring effects of HCG.

And you're not crazy for worrying, but everything probably *is* fine. :)

I got told that things were fine at 6 weeks, 7 weeks, 9 weeks and they *weren't* fine at 13. Again, that's just me!

katd said...

This is such great news! I'm mostly a lurker, but I've been wondering about how it went and couldn't help but post my congrats:)

Frank N. Beans said...

Wow, I am jealous. I can't wait to tell our RE that I hope we never have to see him again! Great news!