A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

More drama

Off and on for about a week and a half, I have had some brown spotting/discharge. As much as I tried to tell myself it was completely normal, I made the mistake of Googling “missed miscarriage” and discovered that, in rare instances, the brown spotting can be a sign of a dead baby. Of course, I panicked and talked my OB’s office into ordering an u/s on Friday. I saw the heartbeat right away, which soothed me (it was a tech doing the u/s, so she wasn’t allowed to tell me anything, but the twinkle was unmistakable). When my OB called me with the results, however, she told me there was a small blood clot under my placenta. Though she didn’t think it posed a problem right now, she wanted me to take it easy over the weekend (read: no sex or marathons) and we would discuss the issue further at our first appointment on Monday.

Well, you can imagine how my weekend was. I even decided to take Monday off because I couldn’t deal with the stress of working when my appointment wasn’t until 2 p.m. At the appointment, my OB didn’t do another u/s, but she did reassure me further that she didn’t think the clot would increase my risk of miscarriage. Oh, and she did a lot of trying to convince me to “just relax” (it sounds annoying, but it was actually kind of sweet). She even asked M (in a sweet way, again) if I was “like this at home.” He just laughed. So, I have now been instructed not to panic unless I see significant red bleeding and/or have painful cramping.

In the meantime, my SIL A called M yesterday and told him a bit more about the pregnancy. Turns out it really was a surprise—as in, she was ON THE PILL! (I wish M had known enough to ask her whether she missed a pill, or if she is one of the 1 in 1,000). So, as much as I’d like to, I really can’t blame them one iota for their less-than-ideal timing. Boy, talk about opposite ends of the spectrum...

Also, she’s thinking of wearing maternity clothes at 10 ½ weeks because her pants are already tight. Because of this, they may have to tell people a little sooner than anticipated. She wanted to know what our plans were to make sure they wouldn’t be “stealing our thunder” (we won’t be telling the world for another three weeks).

In other words, she was trying to be sensitive to our needs. Bitch.

12 comments:

Natalie said...

I LUV the last sentence, LOVE it! I was like, awww, she's trying, but yea, bitch. Gets pregnant by accident AND is nice about it, what is WRONG with her!!! ;-)

Hang in there, hopefully things don't change on you and this is just a blip and you get to carry on.

ms. c said...

Ok... I know this is a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black, but... the clot can really turn out to be nothing. As you might remember form such instances as two weeks ago- mine did. Hang in there Ann. And as trite as it sounds- do try to take it easy. Extra rest certainly won't do the little one any harm... I wish I had magic words to make all the worrying stop.

As for your SIL- how does she get off being so nice? What's up with that? Just when you want to hate someone... (Also, what has she got in there that's making her pants tight at 10.5 wks? It was cool here today, so I put on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn all summer and thought to myself- "these could easily take me through the next 2 months!")

N7 said...

Sensitive to your needs? Not wanting to steal youir thunder? That is so sweet and considerate of her! grrrrrrrrrrr......
Last ultrasound I had, my RE saw a lil blood clot in the placenta and determined it was from when I had early spotting. My heart stopped when i heard the word blood and clot but he told me it appears that it is being 'walled off' and will be fine. I can't say don't flip- I flipped and it is freaking scary. It is scary how we as mommies already have no control and all we want are healthy babies. But at least be assured that flipping seems to be part of this pregnancy thing- and everything will be totally fine with you & your baby- :)

Mama Bear said...

Pregnant on the pill?!? Come on now. Where exactly is the justice in the world? ugh.

I'm so sorry about the spotting. I'm glad it sounds like nothing--keep taking it easy and taking care of yourself, and I hope it's resolved soon.

Pamela T. said...

For what it's worth, I bet you're much better looking in maternity clothes than your SIL!

MrsSpock said...

I think I would be freaking out too, even though it seems everything is OK...nothing like IF to increase the old fear levels a notch or two...

As for your SIL, it sounds like she is dying for some attention....

ultimatejourney said...

There's truly no justice in this world. Pregnant on the pill -- blech.

I hope everything turns out okay with the clot.

Geohde said...

I hope that damn spotting goes away. Like for another ?30 something weeks.

For what it's worth, my pants were tight at 11 weeks. I looked pregnant.

Made it shit when we found out about the anencephaly, but hell, I put it down to too many donuts.

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, my SIL has mellowed a LOT during her pregnancy. To the point where she told me last weekend that I need to plan on taking some time off to come spend with her and the new babe during the holidays (she and I have not been that close before). I hope your SIL turns into a pleasant surprise over the next few months.

ggop said...

I'm so with chicklet on this - in fact I guess I'm just envious of the getting pregnant on the pill thing.

Samantha said...

I hope everything will turn out to be okay with your pregnancy!

CAM said...

Ok, things sound like they are going just fine. If the doc says "relax" than thats what you have to do.
As far as the Sis-in-law...ugh!! You are going to be going back and forth with her for the next 9 months!
I also love your last line....HA!!