When M and I were trying to conceive, I am ashamed to admit I was a bit jealous of bloggers who had miscarried. It wasn’t specifically because they had miscarried, of course; it was more because I was jealous they had been able to become pregnant in the first place. In my warped mind, they were closer to having a live baby than I was—even if they weren’t currently pregnant—simply because they had already been partly there.
How foolish I was.
What I didn’t understand was that when you lose a baby during pregnancy (I say “lose a baby” because, of course, I still don’t know what it’s like to miscarry), you not only don’t have a child in your arms; you have experienced a glimmer of hope, only to be pushed back down. It’s like you’re in prison, digging a tunnel to freedom. You’re near the end, you can see the light—and suddenly there’s a cave-in, and you’re right back where you started.
Or, to use another analogy, it’s like the children’s game Chutes and Ladders. (M, unfortunately, never played that game as a kid, so I’m counting on you guys to get what I’m talking about.) In that game, you slowly make your way along a board with 100 spaces. Sometimes, you land on a ladder, which allows you to jump ahead a few spaces. Sometimes, you land on a chute, which sets you back. At the top of the board—just a few steps away from the end—there’s a gigantic chute which, if landed upon, will send you sliding all the way back to the beginning. For a competitive child such as myself, it was heartbreaking to land on that space.
I’m not so arrogant as to think that with my pregnancy, I had reached the gigantic chute. That’s reserved for women who carry their babies to term, only to find out at the end that something has gone wrong and their baby has died. But I had ascended rather far—at least for me. I could see the end; I was choreographing my victory dance. I was contemplating nursery decorations and crib styles. And whoooosh! suddenly I’m back at the beginning. In fact, now, I feel almost silly for actually believing I would have a child in my arms next spring. I feel like a poser.
It has now been a month since Zach’s death. I mourn the loss of my son, but I also mourn the loss of what was “supposed to be.” I was supposed to deliver in March, three months ahead of my friend A, who is now nearing the end of her first trimester. I was supposed to experience pregnancy and then motherhood first. Instead, she will be leading the way, gazing back at me with sympathetic eyes as she caresses her growing belly and signs up for labor and delivery classes.
I am immensely grateful for the joy Zach gave me for a few months. But I am heartbreakingly sad that that joy had to turn into sorrow, landing me squarely back at the bottom of the board—again.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Friday, December 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
I'm so sorry Ann. I've been with you since before you conceived Zach. You have been through so much, a never-ending game of chutes and ladders. Thank you for sharing and being so honest. I’m praying for you!
Ann,
I am a lurker who hasn't been around in a while- I am so sorry you have been hit with this...injustice. I am glad you still have your faith.
I understand both analogies perfectly. I wish there was more than that to be done for you.
I hope that in offering support and cyber hugs that you at least find some minute measure of comfort.
I'm a lurker, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am. That was a beautiful post, and the chutes and ladders metaphor spot on.
You've captured this very well. While I didn't get as far as you, I mourn the loss of what was supposed to be still. Being at the bottom of the board can be a lonely, sad place. Thinking of you...
Oh Ann, I am so sorry that this is all so awful and difficult. I can relate to you being 'jealous' of those who had had a miscarriage. I found I reacted to all my losses differently. Whilst they all hurt nothing was anywhere near the pain of my second trimester one. It was a different league. I think, as you pointed out, that you feel that you're almost there. And then the shock, and anger, that its all been taking away.
Strangely, I felt (and again jealous is so the wrong word) of woman who had gone further in their pregnancies and had a birth/death certificate and a grave. How warped? But they had a lasting reminder of their child. Something that people could not belittle and ignore (although I'm sure plenty do) Someway of marking a short existence.
I left hospital with nothing and no one remembers what we lost nearly two years later. No one and that hurts too.
I am so very sorry for your loss and I am crying just thinking of the dark days you are facing and how unfair life can be.
Thinking of you xx
This is a perfect analogy - the chutes and ladder thing. And it sucks. A lot.
Right on.
It's hard to HAVE to start again.
It gets harder if it doesn't go smoothly, either, so I hope that you have better luck than I in reachng for #2.
xx
J
Delurking to say that I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss. It's just heartbreaking and unbearably unfair. 'Chutes and ladders" is spot-on ... I never realized how much that game is like navigating infertility. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Zach will always be a special part of your life, and I hope I'm not being insensitive to say this, but I am sure that you will be a mother some day. I just hope -- with every fiber of my being -- that it comes very soon.
Even in your intense grief right now, your strength is inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing ... you give the rest of us so much strength and hope, and I hope that can be a little comfort in this dark time.
I understand both analogies as well. They both stink. Although stink isn't quite a stong enough term for what it truly is.
That's a very good analogy with Chutes and Ladders. I'm sorry you had to experience the big slide.
I don't think you would be arrogant if all if you thought you were already close to the end and the giant chute. You weren't at the end of the pregnancy, but you definitely weren't in the beginning, when the scary risks were bigger. And although the mid u/s IS a big health check, I'm sure you had been able to sigh relief already. And with that first sigh, you were already in that last few rows of the game.
A side note here ... how on earth did M ~not~ play Chutes and Ladders? Really? Isn't that like a requirement of childhood? Unless he wasn't raised in the United States - which I'd have to give a pass on if that's the reason.
I'm so sorry you are back at square one again. ~hugs~
Good analogy...although sometimes I feel like someone kicked my game piece off the board completely! It is the loss of the baby but also the loss of all of your plans and ideas. After losing 4 pregnancies my life is consumed by dates...dates that never happened the way they were supposed to.
We will never get over the losses, but we just have to find a way to live with it and move on somehow.
Thanks for your recent posts, they are very open and you are expressing a lot of the same feeling I have had.
:)
I so know how it feels to land back on start. I was thinking the just last week that I would have been at 12 weeks right now, had everything gone right.
I think that you are entitled to your feelings. I also think that it is all part of the healing process. I hope, for both of us, that next time we get to cross the finish line.
The chutes & ladders analogy makes perfect sense to me. And I think your fall was pretty gosh darn big. I'm so sorry you're starting all over again.
I never liked chutes and ladders when I was a kid. I was the one who always landed on the chute and always seemed to have to start all over again. Having that "win" taken from me when I was so close to the end always hurt. It wasn't fun then, and it isn't fun now.
It is so unfair that Zach was taken and that you are forced to start back at the start of the board.
May you only find ladders in your path from here on out...
I don't think you were foolish to believe getting pg - even to miscarry makes people that much closer. We hear again and again from the medical establishment that getting pregnant is a good sign. After our first IVF miscarriage my RE told me that people who get pregnant - even if they don't have a viable baby - are more likely to have a baby in the end than someone who doesn't get pregnant at all.
I felt that way even after our late term loss. We beat the odds and got pregnant without IVF - surely IVF would work for us. It gave me hope. Statistically it is probably true, but it doesn't feel that way anymore.
I think the chutes and ladders game is a good analogy - I still can't get my mind around getting so close with our first and then needing to start over and he died more than three years ago.
All I can say is keep breathing and do your best to be gentle with yourself.
I do like the Chutes and Ladders analogy.
I am so sorry you have to experience such cruel disappointment.
Your honest it refreshing, your strength is inspiring.
Thank you for sharing everything.
hello- been reading your blog but never really put a comment, just wanted you to know that you really hit the nail on the head with your chutes and ladders analogy. and yea you're right this all really sucks. ((hugs))
You know what, it doesn't matter if you hit that chute at the end of the board (our copy of chutes and ladders is still in its wrapping--I remember being upset by it as a child and now I remember why. Thank you for giving me the words) or if the board was knocked and you couldn't remember where they went so you started the game over. It doesn't matter how you got back there. The pain is still pain. And I am just so sorry, sweetie.
Ann, your candor so beautiful, and I'm so appreciative of your courage and fortitude. I am so sorry you are going through this.
Post a Comment