A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Thursday, December 20, 2007

When in doubt, send a card

I’ve recently learned there are two types of people in this world—those who send sympathy cards, and those who don’t.

Our dining room table is covered with cards we received after Zach’s death. There are probably more than 60 all told, a few of which are doubles from people who forgot they had already sent a card. It is heartening to know that so many people care so much about us.

But when I look at those cards, I tend to think more about the ones that aren’t there.

For example, there is no card from K, a friendly acquaintance from work. She and I occasionally worked on projects together, and once she found out I was pregnant (she was due at the beginning of November), she was thrilled and got me a little onesie as a gift. She and I went out to lunch for some “baby talk,” and I had been hoping we would become better friends once we were both part of the “mommy club.” She even knew about the low amniotic fluid, but was confident there was nothing wrong and even followed up that fateful Friday afternoon with an e-mail asking how things went.

The problem was, I never came back to work that day. And that was her last day working before maternity leave.

From what I’ve pieced together since returning to work, she called our office assistant several times that week to find out how I was doing. I know she had been told the baby couldn’t live outside the womb and we were inducing labor.

But over the past six weeks, I have heard nothing from her. No sympathy card, no e-mail, and certainly no call. Actually, scratch that—my e-mail address was included in all the pictures she sent us of her newborn. Fortunately, my co-workers deleted them before I came back. One of my co-workers suggested that maybe she felt weird approaching me because she has a healthy newborn. Maybe, but that doesn’t mean she couldn’t send a short e-mail stating simply, “I’m so sorry for your loss.” It’s almost like now that I’m not pregnant anymore, she has no more use for me. Point taken.

The same goes for J, another friend through my Bible study. For the past two months, she has lived in the same house as A (the pregnant friend from my previous post, who, incidentally, organized our Bible study group to provide meals for us in the first few weeks after Zach’s death), so I knew she was aware of everything that was going on. Yet the first time we had any communication was when we went to her goodbye open house last week. She told me she had “wanted to call, but didn’t know if she should.” So why not just send an e-mail? Or a card? That’s certainly not intrusive! Instead, she did nothing.

I realize this may seem a bit harsh to some of you. I truly understand that this kind of situation is awkward and people don’t know what to say. But my goodness—don’t say nothing! From my perspective, it seems like you don’t care—especially if I had considered you a friend beforehand (casual acquaintances I can forgive). I certainly sent my share of sympathy cards before we lost Zach, but I didn’t realize just how much they mean—even the ones that say nothing more than “I’m sorry.” They’re a very, very easy way of acknowledging someone’s grief without having to actual face them in person.

I don’t want to end this post on a negative note, so I do want to acknowledge the many, many people who did come through for us. There was the (formerly infertile) sister of a friend who sent a touching e-mail even though she barely knows me; the (formerly infertile) friend of a friend who sent a meal to us even though she barely knows me (notice a trend here? Gotta love the IF sisterhood!); my friend A who organized some of the meals; my friend AW who called me the morning before we left for our induction just to check in on me; my officemates who sent us beautiful flowers; my friend K who drove two hours on her day off to visit us two days after we received the diagnosis; and of course our families, who have been with us through this whole ordeal.

I just wish we had a couple more sympathy cards on our stack.

14 comments:

Becca said...

I can totally relate. The weird thing for me is I got cards from people I haven't heard from in years, people I didn't even know realized what was going on, and then some of my closest friends have acted like nothing ever happened. I have gotten lots of sorry's, but it's sort of like "okay, I've said I'm sorry so let's move on." I know most of them just don't know how to approach the situation with me, and it probably doesn't help that my attitude in public is fine. I think what you are feeling is perfectly normal, because I feel it too :-)

Dr. Grumbles said...

I think some people, very sadly, don't know how to treat an infant loss. People don't know the etiquette, but I agree that people should send a card, a definite symbol of acknowledgment and sympathy.

Kathy V said...

Isn't that the truth though about Infertile Sisters. They get it and they jump up to support even if they barely know you. It seems as though they are more in tune than fertile people that have never suffered, or waited patiently only to be heartbroken, or remain childless. You don't have to say much to an infertile sister and they get it. Isn't that why many of us are here, to get a support network and just tell people about what we feel and know that we are understood when we do so. And I'll second the comment from Becca. It feels terrible when friendly acquaintances do more than close family and friends. I am still so sorry for your loss.

ggop said...

I've come to the conclusion that there will always be some people who disappoint you. The best thing is focus on the people who have stood by you and value them more..

Carrie said...

Some people just don't know what to say or do. They aren't bad people they just don't know, so they do nothing. I agree with you, it is the worst thing of all. Even a clumsy cliche is a little better than nothing.
I've finished friendships (subtly) over the lack of acknowledgement one or two people showed. I just no longer felt I could treat these people the same way.
It's sad. They aren't wicked, just so enviously unaware of how it feels, and the difference support makes, in an awful situation.
I'm sorry these people weren't there for you. You deserve more.

Samantha said...

I remember after my brother died, my family got a lot of sympathy cards, but mostly addressed to the whole family, not to me (as a teenager). The family I babysat for sent me a sympathy card and it really meant a lot to me. From that experience, I've always tried to respect others' losses with a card. A small thing like that goes so far.

I'm glad that other people have come through and given you support.

Anonymous said...

That would be really hard. But it's a very good indicator of who your true friends are. I hope the cards you did get reminded you of how much you're love by your friends and family.

And by the way, thanks for the reminder about this. Sometimes when you've never been through grief of that kind you don't really know how much it means to get a simple acknowledgement of your pain. Thank you for posting this because it allowed me to learn how to be a more sensitive and caring friend!

ultimatejourney said...

Thanks for the reminder about the importance of cards.

Wishing you love and peace during this difficult holiday season.

Natalie said...

I've felt that way about infertility too - that the people I most expected to step up, didn't. That I've had more support from complete strangers than my closest friends. Unfortunately it's changed our relationship cuz I can't get past that yet.

Anonymous said...

we do have a heightened sense of awareness for the people in our lives during a loss i believe and those are the times we tend to see people's true colors -- for better or for worse.

Kami said...

I just got caught up on your last few posts and it is so true that most people just don't get it. I remember when I went back to work after our first loss and when new people saw me they often said they were sorry and then it was completely in the past for them.

And yes, people do expect you to grieve as long as it is no inconvience to them. Stay strong in your resolve to protect yourself and to allow yourself the time to heal.

missing_one said...

I lost a couple of friends because they weren't there for us, and never sent us a card or email.
Namely, my so called "best-friend"
She and I no longer talk.

However, my Dh's cousin who we were pregnant together and talked, she didn't send a card but showed up to the memorial. She wasn't going to come to the memorial because she thought it would be too hard for us. Through the family grapevine, we let her know we wanted her to come. So I think it's really hard for the ones who were preggers with us. They can't imagine what it would be like to lose what they have just had and in some ways they are very close to that.

*hugs*

Wabi said...

Oh, you are so right about sympathy cards. People should send them! Especially with a situation where a pregnancy was interrupted for medical reasons. Because then you never quite know if an unsent card is merely someone being clueless/callous, or someone letting you know they disapprove of what you did. It's very easy to feel not just isolated, but shunned when nobody is talking to you about what happened. And that only makes the whole grief process worse.

loribeth said...

You are so right... dh & I very well remember who called &/or sent cards & who didn't... & we've never felt quite the same since then about those who didn't. It's like because it was a stillborn baby they never saw, it didn't "count."