Last night at Bible study, talk turned to babies (which is natural, since two out of the five people there were pregnant, and two more were expectant fathers). In the prayer requests, I mentioned my mild apprehension about Friday’s ultrasound (which, by the way, is the one in which the peri is able to see the chambers of the heart; at the 15-week ultrasound, he simply wasn’t able to do the full anatomy scan). B, the other expectant father, said he wonders what the “Big Ultrasound” is like the 2nd or 3rd time around. It must not be very exciting at all, he said—“OK, there’s the heart, the liver, the bladder, etc.” Not nearly as exciting as the first time!
Let me stop mid-story for a second. B and his wife, A, have become good friends of ours over the past year. They’ve been very sensitive since we lost Zach, and we’ve all been very open about how we’re feeling. That said, B is more the stereotype of the typical “clueless guy” when it comes to babies. He’s also (several times) expressed his disappointment that they’re having a girl.
Thinking that B had just inadvertently stuck his foot in his mouth, I explained that while, yes, an ultrasound can be exciting, that’s not the purpose. The purpose is to rule out potentially bad things. I have no excitement for Friday’s ultrasound, I told him—just excitement for it to be over.
The thing is, he still didn’t get it. He kept on repeating that by the 2nd or 3rd time, it must be getting kind of old. His wife, I think, understood my point (and I wonder what their conversation was like during the car ride home!), but I felt like I was talking to dead air.
Unfortunately, I think I explained it best to M—after everyone had already left: If an ordinary day is a 0, with an exciting day at a +10 and a devastating day at a -10, then B was thrilled that he had a +10 day when they had their 20-week ultrasound. Our 20-week ultrasound was a -10 day. I am fervently hoping for a 0 day on Friday. B, however, hates the idea of having 0 days for the rest of his ultrasounds to come. His idea of boring is my idea of excitement. Just to have avoided a -10 day actually makes it a +10 day for me!
Did you get all of that?
Of course, talking to M was like preaching to the choir. He, too, was kind of irked at B for insisting on his argument—especially considering the company he was in. I’m having a hard time letting go of the conversation and reminding myself that B didn’t mean to hurt us; he was just being ignorant and naïve. It makes me very, very glad, however, that I have such a sensitive guy for a husband! Even before our experience, he would have “gotten it,” and if he accidentally stuck his foot in his mouth with a friend, he would be furiously backpedaling to try to make it up to them.
(And by the way, I’m really not in as much of a tizzy about Friday as I sound. I’ll just be very glad when it’s over.)
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Oh to be that ignorant and niave...and to assume that by your 2nd and 3rd child that its "all routine" Must be nice...hey when you find out what he is drinking can you send me some? I myself would like some of that bliss...
He just is one who obviously can't put himself in someone elses shoes unless he physically wears them.
Everything else seems like I am defending him...so we will just let it go...
Sorry you had to put up with that. :( Your post is very timely. My pregnant coworker just got back minutes ago from an ultrasound. Everyone around me was giggling & chattering excitedly, wanting to know, boy or girl?? The baby wasn't really cooperating -- the tech is 60% sure it's a girl (of course). I just stayed hunkered down in my cubicle. Oh to be that naive & innocent again, when an ultrasound just means finding out the sex & getting pictures.
Ug. It's hard to believe anyone could be that clueless to say that to someone in your situation. I think I would have clocked him.
GL Friday.
It is a hard situation to be in - you want to forgive them for being ignorant and naive but at the same time - he is an adult!! At some point he has to figure out how it affects you!!
Good luck on Friday! I understand how you feel. People may feel like a 0 day is a bad thing, but it is always better than a -10.
Yes, it was very insensitive of him to really be that clueless!!! I agree with your statement about wondering what the car ride home was like!!! I wonder if the wife will call you today or in the next few days to apologize or at least tell you that she tried to make him get it!!! But all you can do is try to let it go....people are rude and sorry to say, but once the baby is here, people will continue to make rude comments and not think before they speak......I am glad you are somewhat relaxed about Friday...I am continuing to pray for you and DH...like you said, you are blessed to have such a wonderful husband!!!!
You make perfect sense to me, but many people don't realise the reason for the scan- anomoly. So how could it occur to them that anything might be wrong?
Good luck with your scan,
J
I was naive once and thought the second time through would be boring. I now can't even fathom "boring" for anything relating to pregnancy. How insensitive to bring it up to you and insisting on it.... ugh. Some men really don't get it. (Some women don't either.)
I understand you entirely - sounds like B hasn't had to put up with much negative excitement in his life. Sometimes "routine" is the most exciting and happiest thing that could happen to us.
People are clueless. I do hope you get at least +5 day (I would imagine your loss would make a full +10 impossible, but relief could maybe get you to a cautious 5).
Thanks for explaining about the ultrasound - I seem to always post comments that require you to elaborate in your next post.
I'm envisioning the conversation in their car ride home, and betting that B is one of those guys who thinks "but I wasn't thinking about Ann when I said that" to be a valid defense (my husband does that sometimes "I didn't mean to hurt you, I wasn't thinking about you at all." Hm.)
Post a Comment