I had a meltdown last night.
It was about midnight and I had tried changing locations in the house in an effort to sleep through at least some of the night, but it wasn’t working. Finally, I stomped back to our bedroom, woke M and proceeded to give him a tearful rendition of how frustrated, tired, annoyed, impatient, etc. I was, and how I had no idea how I was going to feel better. Poor guy, he was sort of taken aback and tried his best to comfort me (he even offered to play cards with me to take my mind off my insomnia), but of course he couldn’t actually do anything.
The funny part? My due date is today. I’m not even technically “overdue” yet (yes, I know that you’re not actually overdue until after 42 weeks, but try telling that to society).
I think my problem is that I get way too bothered by other people. Basically, for the past three weeks, people keep on saying “You’re still around?” to me whenever they see me. So, that has set an expectation in my mind that I might go into labor at any second. It has become almost a get-out-of-jail-free card for me. As in, “Boy, I really don’t want to be at that meeting tomorrow. Hey, maybe I’ll go into labor and I won’t have to go!” It hasn’t helped that I’m thoroughly sick of work.
In the meantime, there’s this cloud of guilt that follows me wherever I go. It’s said that whenever you start feeling sorry for yourself, you should just think about the misfortune of others and you’ll be able to put things in perspective. I don’t have to look very far; I just think of myself 11 months ago and how utterly terrible my situation was. The Ann of November 2007 would have looked at the Ann of October 2008 with disgust, thinking that she had absolutely no appreciation for the gift she has been given.
Then, there are the women in my office: my co-worker, who doesn’t shy away from telling the story of how she struggled with infertility and lost; and my boss, who never tells her story, but whose answer to the question “Do you have kids?” is, “We were never blessed with children.” That same boss reminded me today that I should be thankful that I’m healthy and everything appears to be OK. And I am. Immensely. I feel terrible even talking about being impatient, because my goodness, if a long pregnancy is the worst of my problems, I’m doing pretty darned well.
But hormones aren’t logical.
Once I’m done working on Friday, I want to hole myself up at home and not talk to any friends and family. Last night, I even toyed with the idea of not answering my family birthday calls because I don’t want to deal with my mother or M’s mother.
When was the last time I felt this strong of a need to shield myself from the world? It was January 2008, when I was still in the throes of grief.
Ironic, isn’t it?
I know exactly what I need to do: Focus on others, take my mind off myself and my pregnancy and just smile and nod when others exclaim over the fact that I’m still around. But it’s easier said than done.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Oh, goodness. I really wish that you didn't have insomnia. You will totally need that extra sleep in a few weeks.
Take lots of naps this weekend and whenever you can to be well rested for your delivery day. Be well!
{{Hugs}} I know it's hard to imagine but in another few weeks this will all just seem laughable.
Crossing my fingers that the baby makes and entrance soon.
Don't feel guilty about being uncomfortable and wanting to be done being pregnant. Those last weeks are just so uncomfortable. Hang in there! Here's to wishing you some uterine activity/water breaking in the near future!
Can't believe you are 40 weeks already!! Hoping you don't have to be uncomfortable much longer and that baby besides to make an arrival soon! Are we gonna be in suspense or is someone going to blog to tell us about it?
Before my wedding, people asked "Aren't you excited?" so many times, I was ready to off myself if I had to hear it one more time.
Same goes for right before J was born. I wanted everyone to just shut up and leave me alone. My mother and MIL called EVERY DAY. I was like, geez, don't you think if he had come I would have called you?
I hope you're already off having a baby!
Ugh. I know just how you feel. 40 weeks is a long, long time. Going past your due date just seems like unnecessary torture!!
Sending contraction vibes your way.
Ann,
I totally get the line "hormones aren't logical." A year ago I would diss pregnant women who ranted as pregadonnas. Not anymore. I truly truly get it :-)
All the best! Yay its Friday, last day at work!
Rest up..poor M, but i'm all about the mom to be. Tough luck for the husbands now.
-g
don't feel guilty..it's normal actually. I read your post and could not help but think I was reading my own experience back when i was 37 weeks! I ended having my baby at 39 weeks and some days but I remember going to work and having people tell me "you STILL have not had that baby?" I felt like telling them "shut up" it does get annoying and frustrating because when you are so far along, physically you are so tired and you feel as if you can't go anymore and emotionally it can be tiring too and stressful because you are anticipating the "big day" that never seems to come. Just hang in there is all i can say and dont' let those comments or guilt get to you.
It is sooo easier said than done!
The day I was 40 weeks was the day of my grandfather's funeral. Aside from it being a horrible day because, well, the obvious, it was nasty having everyone come up to me and exclaim on the fact that I was still pregnant. In the Jewish religion we have seven days of mourning. Visitors come every day, and every day I had to hear about how I still had my baby on the inside. Really, it was ENOUGH. (My theory really is thqat the baby was waiting for my family life to get back to normal after the mourning, as the baby was born about 10 days past my die date.)
Hang in there, Ann! I KNOW how hard it is at this point, grateful or not.
(Hoping that as you didn't post yeaterday that perhaps you are holding your little one now...)
Usually punching those people out works...
So close and yet so far!
I would maybe go out and get your nails done or your hair cut or some other thing to pamper yourself.
When I was ALMOST there--I went out to a restaurant and had my favorite lunch (by myself) and read a good book.
Heres hoping the you are sound asleep snuggeling a new baby right now!
No new posts since Thursday, have you had your baby??
Post a Comment