A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Monday, April 9, 2007

Wishy-washy me

OK, I admit it—I’m wavering. I wrote a long post explaining why I’m staying with my OB instead of the RE, and now I’m wondering if that’s the right decision. I have a week to decide.

I spoke to my OB today on unrelated issues, and she told me she doesn’t usually prescribe Letrozole; she refers patients to an infertility specialist. So I basically know that when I go to see her for my CD3 u/s, she’ll prescribe me 150mg Clomid and probably metformin. I may be able to talk her into monitoring my follies, but no trigger shot (again, I’d have to get that from the RE). Since we’ve been having challenges trying to time intercourse (see previous entries), I wonder if it would make the most sense to go to the RE and get trigger shots.

So, should I stay with my OB for another cycle or two, or return to the RE who mistakenly counted me out at CD13, five days before ovulation (and no, he’s not a bad RE—I just have weird ovaries, and he was trying to save me some money)? I would appreciate as many opinions as I can get. OB visits are covered under insurance; RE visits are not.

4 comments:

Samantha said...

That's a tough call. However, CD13 is pretty early to "count you out" but maybe he got the impression you didn't want any more monitoring visits? That's tough that your insurance won't cover your visit to an RE. My crappy insurance still covered visits, as long as it involved having sex to try to get pregnant, vs. IUI or IVF.

I think if you want to maximize your chances of a cycle working, the RE would be the better choice. But if you feel comfortable with your OB, you could try another cycle with her. However, you probably don't want to do more than six cycles on clomid, no matter who the doctor. My OB told me flat out he didn't do more than 100 mg of clomid (which I didn't respond to), and referred me on. It sounds like you're response has been less than ideal. So I guess you're right on that border where you could go either way.

ms. c said...

Clomid and Met might be the right combo for you- I certainly hope so! In that case your OB for this cycle is a good choice this time around, and push her for the monitoring. That way you will know what's going on in there...
As for the RE... If this cycle doesn't pan out (but I sure hope it does!) it's probably time to move on. Using a trigger and having specialized care from the RE may be all you need. are there other REs in your area? Maybe your OB can refer you to someone else?
If that's not an option I would suggest you bring up your "issues" with the other cycle that you did with this RE at your first meeting. And be firm that you would like him to be aggressive with your treatment (if that's what you want), and get everything else out on the table.
Best of luck... Remember that you are your own best advocate.

Esperanza said...

It is really about if you are ready to go. It sounds like you might be.

Praying for wisdom for you.

Princess Barren said...

Hi Ann,
Thanks for stopping by my blog...I swear it's usually more interesting, but I appreciate you coming by nonetheless!

It sounds like the Clomid and Met *might* have a good chance of working for you. Although I know how hard it is to wait for it to work, so I feel for you.