A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The big O

Well, slap my ass and call me Sally, I think I may have ovulated! On CD17 or 18!

I have had some restless nights recently, which makes it difficult to temp (because, of course, you need to have had at least three hours of sleep to get an accurate temp). However, I have still had four days in a row of high temps! I’m thinking all four days can’t have been due to bad sleep. Plus, on CD18, when I wiped I noticed my “area” was rather slick (I know, I know—TMI), which made me think of my ever-elusive friend, EWCM. So I must grudgingly admit that my good friend Jo was right when she said pregnancy hormones can whip my PCOS ass into shape—at least temporarily. I’ll take what I can get.

And yes, we did have timed sex—on either the day of or the day before ovulation. So I think I’m finding myself in the good ol’ 2ww again. I’m trying my hardest not to care, to view this as a “bonus cycle” because I didn’t expect to be able to try again until February. But damn, it’s hard not caring! I find myself caught in that vicious cycle, again, of counting forward nine months and planning my life as if I could actually get pregnant and carry to term. You’d think I would have learned my lesson. Plus, my period started only seven weeks after we lost Zach, which makes me wonder if we started trying too soon. The only thing worse than not being pregnant is getting pregnant and then miscarrying because my uterus just wasn’t ready.

I know the ovulation thing may not seem like a big deal to most of you, but it's huge for me! This is the first time I've ovulated and had timed sex without estrogen-inhibiting medication. See, my PCOS doesn't just mean I have long cycles; it means I rarely ovulate at all, which can be rather, um, counterproductive to getting pregnant. Sucks, doesn't it?

So I wait, and try not to hope too much…

20 comments:

Cate said...

Yes, pregnancy can get your PCOS back in line, if briefly. It did for mine. I think I have only experienced the elusive EWCM after coming off of birth control, after a miscarriage, or when my period first started after the birth of my son.
Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Congradualtions!!!! Sending positive thoughts your way!!!!!

Alison said...

Yay for O and here's to a fast 2ww! Thinking good thoughts for you!

Meg said...

This is a huge deal and very, very exciting. It brings back a slight hint of your body actually working....

Ah, the 2WW.....hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Keeping my fingers crossed. Can I add you to my blog roll? I read you all the time, let me know, my blog is akapoopie.wordpress.com. I love your blog!

Kathy V said...

That is such great news. And yes the mere fact that you ovulated on your own is a big deal. Because we all know if we don't have any eggs, we can't get pregnant. Try to stay sane during the 2ww. I am sening all my pregnancy vibes your way.

Familyofthree said...

Ok, so we have to psych the PCOS out...we don't care that you ovulated. Not at all. Had sex for FUN...not for ttc. Uhm what else. OH and that test you will pee on in say 14 days or so...its jsut to make sure you can start provera...yea thats it.

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! I hope that we read about a BFP soon!!!

Missy said...

It seems silly to say congratulations for ovulating, but when you have PCOS, it's always worth celebrating. So, congratulations! I'm sending lots of vibes your way that the 2ww will result in a longer 9 month wait. :)

Jen said...

Ummm...that's a very big deal! Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

Ovulation is always a happy event around our house as well (and I can relate to the excitement over EWCM as well -- I would always tell my husband, "guess what I found in the bathroom?"). When the alternative is paying for ovulation, a free one seems like a wonderful gift. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

As a fellow pcos-er, I share your excitement!! I know exactly how you feel- sometimes the 2ww feels like the night before Christmas. It brings back the wonderful feeling of hope and possibilities. And even if you don't get a bfp, just remember your body is doing what it is supposed to do, that is a sure thing to feel good about!
Am sending bags and bags of baby dust your way (you can save some for later!) ;)

DebbieDo said...

Awesome news! That is a VERY big deal, Congrats!

Malloryn said...

That is fantastic news! Here's hoping that the timing was good :)

Bon said...

i had a mild case of PCOS to start, but after my first pregnancy it pretty much abated totally. yay for you!

and we're in almost the same 2ww...with very similar ambivalence.

best of luck, um...Sally. (when you get the BFP, THEN i'll slap your ass, 'kay?)

Anonymous said...

Hey, we can be in the 2WW together this month. I am on day 7 and already testeed twice, LOL!!!

Schatzi said...

Congrats on the Big (and well-whoopie-timed) O!

nancy said...

What's up Sally!! (sorry, no ass slapping).

Yay! Well, that's great. Congrats!

Dr. Grumbles said...

Wow, I am glad someone else gets excited just at ovulating! I pretty much always ovulate eventually, just much later than is "normal." I just O'ed around Day 18 and wanted to throw a party. It would be easy to make an egg-shaped cake, right?

I hope your big O leads to great things!

Samantha said...

I understand your excitement too! Hope this tww will be a good one!

Geohde said...

I'm not going to go slapping any asses Ann/Sally but woo-hoo :)

xx

J