I was going to post about how eerily calm I’ve been since I got the double lines. I was going to tell all of you how surprised I am that I seem to finally have realized that if something is going to go wrong, I can’t do anything about.
Then I got my beta results.
I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry. First beta at (what I believe is) 13dpo: 155. Second beta at 15dpo: 471.
Multiples? On a natural cycle?
At this point, I would appreciate any of you who can point me to a helpful site that tells me all about betas. Because my first ultrasound is on Feb. 14, and at this point Valentine’s Day seems a long, long way away.
The funny thing is, a year ago I would have been absolutely thrilled about twins. Now, however, after having already experienced a second-trimester loss, all I can think about is, Twin pregnancies have so much more risk than singletons. If this is twins, then all my hopes of a normal, calm pregnancy go right out the window.
I don’t want to offend any of you who are already pregnant with twins. Hey, if I could actually make it through such a pregnancy, then I would be thrilled. All my dreams will have come true. But oh, I can’t help wondering if I’m just in for another heartbreak.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
28 comments:
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I don't know of any good Beta sites but my beta's with my twins were 365 at 14dpo and somewhere between 1100-1300(I can't remember) at 17dpo (missed the 16dpo test). I do know that you can't always tell from HCG numbers though. Good luck!!
Try betabase.com
don't know about betas but hoping that this works out.
Well Ann, Multiples or singletons, I am glad that you are getting numbers that are going up. Maybe you should ask Mel. There might be a lot of people in the l & f page that either have twins or know about beta numbers that might be able to answer your questions. I am sending the C-word your way for your rising numbers.
Congrats! I'm no help with the beta numbers, but glad to see they are rising well.
Hi. I think I've visited your blog a few times but haven't yet commented.
For Beta values, Betabase is the way to go, but the ranges are really wide. I was 510 - 16dpo and 1,497 - 18dpo and found it was twins. You could have two in there - you just never know.
Congrats on your double lines! I'm sure the wait for your first U/S will be tortuous!
Betabase has a lot of great info, they were my lifesaver when pregnant with Norah.
Holy shit, I didn't see that you got double lines. Totally missed that post.
Congratulations.
Betabase.com is a good resource.
You can't always tell about the number of babies in there based on your numbers. I had a girlfriend - her 14dpo number was 200, and she ended up with a healthy singleton.
Mine, too - I was at 159 at 14dpo, and then 787 at 17dpo.
Not sure if this helps, though.
Congrats!
Twins? What a crazy ride you are on!
My beta at 13dpo was 115 and at 17dpo, it was 587. Just one in there!
The only thing that can truly verify twins is an u/s. I've heard stories of twins with betas in singleton range and vice versa.
Sending you lots of prayers and lots of luck! XOXO
You're absolutely right. What ever will happen will. Whether we worry or not. Still it's hard not to.
I'm so pleased you didn't have to wait long for this try. And I am holding out so much hope for an uneventful 8 months.
I wouldn't worry too much about multiples . It may just be a very healthy one.
Um, I've gone to betabase.com and it doesn't seem to exist. I've also gone to betabase.net, but all I can find are ads. Can somebody please explain exactly how to get to one of those analysis graphs?
My beta with twins was 211 at 9dp5dt and 637 at 12dp5dt. I've seen betas higher and lower that were twin pregnancies, so you never know... I will pray for a healthy singleton, since I know the stress of a difficult twin pregnancy, as I start week 13 of bed rest.
Wow. I am so happy for you. I can completely understand your worry, but I'll be thinking the happy thoughts that you can't just yet. This is a handy site for betas, but beware: I ran your numbers and they do look pretty twinny... You can do this! Just one day at a time.
Honestly I don't know anything about Beta's either, I've been fortunate enough not to have them tested, but I do think it's a GREAT sign that numbers are going up! I can only imagine how long it feels until your U/S appointment. Hang in there, and we will be anxious to see what it reveals!
The site for betabase is betabase.info
I was at 675 at 15 dpo, which was a little higher than the norm, but I ended up with a singleton. So try not to read in too much into these numbers.
I totally understand your fear of this pregnancy, and I know there is nothing I can say to ease this fear. But I do wish you a great U/S in two weeks and an even better remainder of the 40-week pregnancy. I will be pulling for you.
I second the Betabase suggestion.
I'm still in awe of your positive test, and am happy to hear about the rising numbers.
About the possiblity of twins, there is really no way of knowing. I know that telling you to take it one day at a time won't make you worry less, so I am not offering you that.
Just a big hug to you Ann!
I like BetaBase, but I also like the calculator at BabyMed.com because it gives you a little graph. My betas were on the order of yours at 210 at 14dpo and 670 at 16dpo. I had a very early u/s at 4 weeks 6 days and we only saw one sack. So while we could be missing something, it is looking like its a singleton.
First, those are good strong numbers. At 18dpo my beta was 2800ish. According to the Betabase, those numbers were in the twin range, but because of variation in hcg, one can't really predict multiples from an hcg. I ended up with just a nice strong singleton.
Betabase can tell you about ranges (and those ranges can be enormous) but they don't tell you specifically what is going on in your body - would that it could! Doubling fast is good. I am crossing every finger for you - I know the anxiety you must be going through and I'm sending best wishes.
I was 540 at 16dpo, which according to the sources I looked at was high enough to be twins, but I had a singleton also. Either way, congratulations on your pregnancy and hoping it ends in a healthy birth.
Sorry I'm coming a little late to the game! You're definitely right, though, I was obsessed with beta values. I mainly researched how beta values corresponded with viable pregnancies, though (not necessarily how they corresponded with twins). And, for what it's worth on that front, your betas look fabulous.
As far as whether there might be two in there? Well, as many people have mentioned, based on your numbers, it wouldn't be a shock if there were more than one. But, beta numbers can be deceiving. (Because this was a natural cycle, is there any chance you're a day or two ahead of where you think you are? That could impact things, too...)
I'm sorry--this probably isn't as helpful as you were hoping. please don't hesitate to email if you have any questions (stickybun07 at gmail.com).
And, not matter what I wish you all the best.
Congratulations on the great beta numbers! I'm hoping for an entirely uneventful pregnancy for you, whether multiple or not.
All I can say is good luck! 2/14 will be here before you know it...even though it seems so far right now!
Congrats! Not sure if this helps but looking back through my twins' memory box I found that my betas were: 13dpo 303, 15dpo 851, 19dpo 8910. If you look at it this way, a twin pregnancy buys you extra ultrasounds, more frequent ob visits, and a shorter pregnancy in most cases (I delivered at 35 weeks). I hope you can really enjoy this experience and good luck to you!
Congratulatiosn! My first beta at 14dpo was 350. I al thought I was having twins, but there only one in here!
Hi! I just happened to click through to your blog from Alexa (flotsam), and saw this post. I also had high betas in my first pg (natural after failed IUI's), my betas were 344 at 14dpo and 853 at 16dpo. Just one. I was also concerned about twins, and actually found a research article where they looked into the difference between betas in natural vs. medicated pregnancies, and found that the natural pregnancies were about 1-2 days "ahead". I'd be willing to bet that you only have one in there. But 2/14 will be here before you know it, and then you'll know for sure. Good luck!!!
There's a wide range of betas for twins and singletons, and they overlap a fair bit. I emailed you a site link with a good normal range chart.
Good luck,
xx
J
Post a Comment