The minute I saw her phone number on caller ID, my heart sank.
It was my friend AW. AW, who lives two hours away, rarely calls—not because she doesn’t care, but because she’s not a “phone talker.” So when she does call, I know it’s for a specific reason. And I knew she and her husband had been considering “pulling the goalie” recently. I was sure she was calling with a pregnancy announcement—and I didn’t know how I would be able to handle that. See, for us, it’s not just a matter of being excluded from the “club” anymore. We had already been allowed into the club, but then, just when we had relaxed enough to kick up our heels and enjoy our time by the pool, we were brutally kicked out.
So I tentatively chatted with her, all the while waiting for her to get to the point so I wouldn’t have to be in suspense anymore. But no pregnancy announcement. Finally, the reason for her call came out—she wanted to let us know that they plan on resuming their search for a new house closer to where we live (it’s a long story, but their earlier plans for a house fell through).
She did, however, reveal that they stopped using condoms a couple of days earlier. We ended up having a long conversation about how menstrual cycles work and what the best days to get pregnant are. I even admitted I’d been expecting a pregnancy announcement from her and she said she knows that telling me about a pregnancy will be a very, very hard phone call. It was refreshing to be so honest with her, and it was probably the longest conversation we’ve had about our loss since it happened. (That doesn’t mean she wasn’t supportive; she was the friend who called me unexpectedly on the morning before I was induced at the hospital. AW doesn’t call often, but she calls at the right times.)
No, this phone call wasn’t what I thought it would be. But oh, was it difficult not knowing. My SIL, too (not the one who’s due in March), is now trying to get pregnant with her second. I’ve decided that should I see their number on caller ID, I will let the call go to voice mail. I’ll be able to tell by my brother’s message if they’re making an announcement, and I’ll at least be able to compose myself before I call him back.
I know this is part of life. I know there will be many pregnancy announcements in my future. But somehow, I feel like it’s unfair for other people to get pregnant while I’m still “stuck.” You may think I’m naïve and overly optimistic, but I still harbor a not-so-secret hope that once Dr. Hot allows me to start treatment, Letrozole will work its magic and help me ovulate again and I’ll be pregnant within a few cycles. I feel like I’m in a race and everyone else has already started while my feet are still firmly planted on the start line.
Except. What if I start the race again only to find out that I’ve lost all the speed I had the first time I raced? It’s a definite possibility; I’ve seen it happen to many, many other bloggers.
Oy. So many thoughts swirling in my head. I need to get a life. Speaking of that, thank you so much for all your suggestions of dogs. I really don’t think M and I will go for a lab or a retriever—too big. But we will start visiting with some dogs this weekend and hopefully we’ll find one that’s right for us.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Oh goodness, I know what you mean about a race. I hate it! But your friend sounds like a good one. For someone to even recognize is HUGE!
I never like gym class. I never liked races. In the infertility race, I've been lapped by people already. Did I mention I hate races?
I'm glad it wasn't THAT call.
Happy New Year! May all your dreams come true this year.
It does feel like a race. Not a fair one.
I'm sorry about your anxiety over the phone call. I understand completely. Sometimes the waiting, guessing and wondering is as hard as an announcement. It's certainly as draining.
I hope you're back on the track soon.
I feel like I am stuck in that race also. I read blogs and many of them have seen their two lines and I feel like it should be my turn to pull ahead in the race. Hopefully good things will happen for many this year.
The race is exhausting. I have long accepted that others already got to the medals stand. Now I will be content just to cross the finish line, even if everyone else has already gone home and its dark out.
I hope you cross the line, too.
Ann,
Ditto here. There are two friends from whom I've been dreading the inevitable announcement.
One announced it on New Year's eve - it hurt a bit when she said it loud and addressed another friend specifically who is a new mom. I felt like I was outside the "club" too.
I overheard my husband talking a friend of his: "Are you charting?" It seemed weird to hear that coming out of my husband's mouth. Now I'm waiting for THE CALL too.
I'm so with you on the being stuck at the starting line. I'm just so tired of everyone else not even having to run a marathon, a race, nothing, and just being handed the prize anyway. While I keep running and running and running...
PS. When I read your title I was like, dear god, pls tell me someone wouldn't CALL her with an announcement!
I sometimes don't know what's worse -- anticipating news of a pregnancy or actually getting the news out of the blue. I'm glad you were able to turn the conversation into one that brought you closer to your friend.
I'm that girl already to my friends too, and I feel bad. Two of my friends who already have kids are starting to try for # 2 in the next few months... and another who gave birth on the day I found out aout my ectopic, is pregnant again and is due two weeks before the due date of my recent miscarriage.
If it is hard for me, I can't imagine what you are going through - stay strong sweetie - we are here with you.
Oh, I know that feeling. I truly hope you will be able to get back in that saddle quickly.
Post a Comment