Those of you who are married: When you were single, did you ever make a list of the qualities any man you married absolutely had to have? One late night, I sat in bed composing just such a list. My “non-negotiables” included a non-smoking Christian man who knew how to manage money. I was lucky; I got what I was looking for and much, much more.
My point is that I knew I could never marry someone who didn’t meet these criteria. It’s a simple formula: Husband = non-smoker, Christian and good with money.
Now, I find myself in a similar, non-compromising position. Happiness = pregnancy. The funny thing is, I now know from experience that pregnancy does not always = happiness. I remember days during my pregnancy in which I felt so blah I could practically scream. I felt that I was living vicariously through both a friend who was in the beginning stages of a promising relationship, and another friend who was about to undergo her first IUI. “Your lives are so much more interesting than mine,” I remember thinking. How foolish I was. If only my life could have remained boring for another four months or so.
Yet now, I look at my friends and family members who are pregnant and can't imagine they could have any legitimate reason for not being deliriously happy. They have what I want; shame on them for not fully appreciating it.
The area where we live is rather bleak during the winter, but fun and alive during the summer. Any other January I would be eagerly looking forward to June, when M and I would be able to take evening strolls around one of the many lakes in our county. Instead, I think, “How in the world can I enjoy the summer if I’m not pregnant by then?”
I want what I had. And depending on the day (or hour), I either view pregnancy within the next four months as a probability or an impossibility.
I know, I know—I shouldn’t be setting a time limit for myself. It’s incredibly unhealthy. But I feel like the world is passing me by. I was talking to a diabetes educator today (during a work thing) who told me that a PCOS woman in her 30s with her first pregnancy has a higher chance of gestational diabetes. “Don’t treat me like I intentionally delayed TTC,” I wanted to shout at her. “I was in my 20s when I first started trying! It’s not my fault!” (Before you get upset at this RN, understand that she wasn’t accusing me at all. I just didn’t like the facts she was throwing at me, and I’m a tad sensitive these days. She was actually a very nice woman.)
Now that I actually have a shot at being pregnant, I feel like the rest of my winter is defined by the results of that pee stick nine days from now. Positive pee stick = happiness. Negative pee stick = at least four more weeks of misery. (Hell, it’s like I’ve got my very own groundhog!)
I can’t remember if I felt this way before we conceived the first time. I know I certainly wasn’t isolating myself nearly as much, which, ironically, is a big part of my misery. I want my friends and family back. But the only way I feel comfortable with having them back is if I have that trump card in my back pocket—a new pregnancy.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I too set timelines for myself and getting pregnant. I would plan my life around the "what-if's" (I was seeing a therapist at this time and she convinced me that I had to let this go b/c it was just making TTC much more stressful on me).
I too equated happiness with being pg and got myself so depressed after each negative test, I know people didn't want to be around me (and I didn't want to be around anyone either). Now that I am pg, I still don't feel like I fit in with my fertile friends (a very good friend is only a week behind me with her 2nd child) -- my pregnancy is so fragile to me and they all think I'm crazy -- I feel like I won't be "in the club" until I am holding my girls in my arms.
This is such a great post and one that I'm sure a lot of us infertiles can relate to. I hope that these next nine days go by quickly and will bring you great happiness. (No pun intended.)
This is a great post, and I'm technically not even infertile. (Just saddled with a shredded uterus due to what a doctor accidentally did ..)
I've also struggled with bargaining for happiness. When we learned my baby might have T18 and was waiting for amnio results, it became crystal clear that happiness equaled being pregnant with a baby that did not have T18. After my baby turned out to have T18 and I had my tx because of that, for a time I couldn't believe how anyone who met MY personal criteria for happiness could somehow NOT be blissful 24/7. The freaking ingrates, I'd think -- what's WRONG with these people?
Then I got pregnant with Little A, and discovered that I wasn't very happy despite CVS confirming that my baby did not have T18. I was relieved and grateful, but not happy, because so many other things in the pregnancy were so hard. After that my theories kept shifting to accommodate the latest crisis (happiness = no preterm labor, happiness = my uterus not rupturing, happiness = my baby and I surviving my uterine rupture, etc.)
In the end, I sort of stopped trying to coax happiness out of terrible situations. I don't mean that in the dire way it sounds -- I am actually quite happy a lot of the time despite the life drama of the past few years (er, weeks). But I feel like my making formulas is pointless -- happiness has everything to do with your perspective and your prospects, and as those things change, so do the rules for how it grows. It's pretty much impossible for me to predict what will or will not make me happy in the future these days.
Maybe that's actually a hopeful thing?
I hear what you are saying (love your quip about a groundhog). And I feel you about the trump card. To be honest, I am TERRIFIED to allow myself to think of the future w/o a baby. To think about the summer and still be trying... I can't even go there. The despair that comes over me is too much for me and therefore I just don't think about it. And it's pure fear that allows me to not think about it. I guess my point is, I'm plauged with the same time issue, only I'm too effed up to face it! You always keep it so real Ann, that's what I love about your blog!
I get it. I feel like I am sleepwalking through most of my life. I will live again when I am preg again. The rest is all a build-up to that.
Amber
i know the feelings you speak of, and was actually wondering why i'm feeling them so intensely myself...when i realized the m/c in November has in this one way impacted me just as much as my firstborn's death did. in other ways, the grief has been much less intense, but the urgency and categorical imperative - just as strong as it was back in summer 2005.
whereas when i got pregnant this fall, i didn't feel like this hardly at all...so my guess is that a part of the feeling is grief itself, manifesting in its charming ways.
waiting is wretched. you wrote the internal experience of it beautifully.
thank you for your blog....found it via stirrup queens...your sharing is beautiful and means a lot to my infertile heart.
ps. i love mke. :)
I didn't comment the first time I read this because I wasn't sure what I wanted to say, so I came back. I know I didn't feel this way before I conceived the first time around but that is what I call my naive time. Before m/c, before what I know and when I actually thought all you had to do was have sex to have a baby. It is all different now so the way I feel is different too. I agree it is hard not to set a timeline but also hard to live without setting a goal through a timeline. I keep thinking about if I get pregnant, what month will I deliver and all the fun stuff that goes along with a baby born at a certain time of year. I hope that if you get a bfp that you can be happy. I think I will be happy but scared and cautious at the same time.
I think this is completely normal. When you want something so badly, it is hard to imagine than you can be happy without it.
Hopefully, this pregnancy will make you a healthy baby and you won't need to learn to be happy without getting pregnant. It may give you some peace to know that it is possible. I have done it - not happy like I used to be, but much happier than I ever thought possible.
Post a Comment