During my last pregnancy, I was struck by how incredibly boring some of my OB appointments were. I went in expecting, oh, I don’t know, a ticker tape parade, and instead my doc would ask a few questions, find the heartbeat with the Doppler and dismiss me. I just wish my formal ultrasound would have been as boring.
My appointment this morning, I am happy to say, was more boring than watching paint dry. No sooner had the medical student jammed the dildocam up me than Dr. Hot was pointing out the heartbeat and taking quick measurements. Wham, bam, thank you ma’am. Measurements are right on, and yes, there is only one in there. I asked a few questions, but it was obvious from Dr. Hot’s expression that there was nothing of note to talk about.
Thank God.
The tears started a bit as I was asking Dr. Hot questions after the wanding. But the door hadn’t even closed behind him and the medical student before I was sobbing. By myself. In the exam room. (M is out of town today.) I sobbed for Zach (I had seen a disabled toddler in the waiting room who made me think of him). I sobbed because I had had ultrasounds that had turned out much, much more badly. I sobbed because now, yet again, I have another chance at a Real Live Baby.
Of course, there’s still the Big Bad Ultrasound to get through, but that’s not for another couple of months and I’m going to try my best to block it out of my head. In the meantime, I’m looking out my office window at the snow falling and feeling thankful that now I’m not just concerned about my friend A slipping; I’m a fragile pregnant lady, too.
A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
I am glad to hear that the little one is doing well. I'm sorry if made you sad. It must have been hard to do by yourself.
I'm glad everything is going well so far. Hang in there.
So happy everything went well.. continuing to pray for all 3 of you...wish DH could have been with you.
isn't boring wonderful? i am wishing you the world's most boring pregnancy!
i am so very happy for you.
I'm sorry you had to be in that room alone today, but I'm glad all the news was as boring as could be.
Who knew boring could be so wonderful?
Three cheers for boring!!!
You are amazingly strong to have gone all by yourself!
I had an US today too, and I was thinking of you. I told hubby I was hoping like crazy that all would go well for you today. I'm so glad it was boring.
Glad it was boring today. I hope the big one will be too.
Precious, Ann. Good news at this point is so welcome, but the affect of it doesn't last long. Within minutes of the exam, you think, "Something may have gone wrong already." I'm so sorry that you have to experience pregnancy this way. I'm now a grandmother. Before technology (other than the basal temp chart), I was there, where you are, long, long ago. It's hard to keep trying, keep hoping, and it's pure hell to go through the preganancy. It sounds trite to advise someone to take it one day at a time, but eons later, I'm still having to do just that.
Much love and many, many heartfelt prayers for you, your husband, and your little one.
Thinking of you friend!
Boring is good...so glad your visit was uneventful. (And be careful on that ice!)
Ann,
News of this boring appointment is just wonderful!
I can't imagine the emotional and psychological buildup... no wonder there were tears.
I'm thinking of you every day.
I'm sorry. I can only imagine how hard this must be. It makes me sad that something so wonderful can still cause so much pain and sorrow.
I'm glad this appointment was "boring" and that the baby is measuring right where it should be!!
Boring can be wonderful. Wishing you a continued string of boring appts so all the excitement can be saved for a healthy live birth.
I'm glad that everything is going smoothly for you and the baby.
Ann,
That is wonderful news.
Boring is something we should all asipre to in OB appointments, I totally get what you mean.
J
Post a Comment