A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Raw Part 2

Warning: If you are currently trying to get pregnant and incredibly annoyed by those who are newly pregnant and seem to be having a hard time with it, you might want to stay away from my blog for a while. Believe me; I’ve been there. I understand.

I saw a urologist yesterday to find out what the deal is with some recent blood in the urine and frequent UTIs. I had to wait for more than an hour before the doctor saw me, which already had me annoyed. But my conversation with the doctor’s nurse succeeded in ruining what had been a fairly good day.

The nurse was taking my vitals and telling me about some tests they were going to run when I decided I should probably tell her I was pregnant. After all, that might affect my treatment plan, mightn’t it? She gave me a big smile and congratulations. Hastily, I told her the three-sentence version of my history, ending with, “So I’m not quite ready for congratulations yet.”

She could have smiled sympathetically and continued updating my chart. Instead, this kind-hearted nurse (and I’m not being sarcastic—she really was kind-hearted; just a bit clueless as to when to give it a rest) continued to feed me platitudes like there was no tomorrow. She told me I need to have a positive attitude about this pregnancy. She told me about her son and daughter-in-law, who had had a miscarriage and now had two wonderful little children (who were just the lights of her life). She told me she was “sure” this pregnancy would result in a healthy baby.

I know she was just trying to comfort me. But really—how in the world does she “know” what lies in store for me? My tight-lipped smile should have been a clue to her that she should just continue with her job and stop with the pregnancy and loss talk, but she kept on adding little statements, like “I bet it was really hard on your husband.”

I know these last two posts have made it sound like I’m worried shitless about this pregnancy. I’m actually rather OK; I’m simply living my quiet little life right now and trying not to think too much about the future. I am not, however, in any position to be gushing about my knocked-up state. I feel a bit like Miranda in “Sex and the City,” who finds she has to “fake” a wide smile whenever other people get excited about finding out she’s having a boy.

Not that we’ve told many people. No, the people for whom I have had to “fake it” are all medical professionals (and a hairstylist—I had to explain why I’m going to be skipping out on highlights for the next eight months). The only IRL person we’ve told is my friend J, who’s starting IVF in a couple of months. I felt it would be cruel to keep her out of the loop, since I know how crappy it can be to be surprised by a pregnancy when you’re going through IF.

My experience with the urology nurse has confirmed my suspicion that we should wait quite a while before telling even our families. I want to wait until I can smile, rather than grimace, about this pregnancy.

10 comments:

Bridget said...

I happened upon your blog yesterday...just want to say good luck with this pregnancy, and I hope you get to a place soon where you can enjoy it. I lost a baby boy at 20 weeks just 7 weeks ago so our stories aren't that far apart. Take care.

PamalaLauren said...

I can only guess is that the nurse just had no idea what to say, and instead of just not saying anything, she just went on and on. And sadly enough I think that's how most people are. All you have to say is congratulations on the pregnancy and sorry about the loss. That's it.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry that a nurse made what was probably already going to be an unpleasant visit worse. There's a note in my medical chart that says something to the extent of TTC, can't take certain meds. And I can't tell you how many times I've been asked when I'm due (I'm not) and if not, why it's in my chart.

Nearlydawn said...

Your plan of not telling for a while sounds like a good one.

After hubby and I had experienced several repeat losses we found that waiting to tell was the only way for us to get through the 12 week initial hazing period (as I lovingly refer to it).

I'm not sure how long your wait will be, but I hope it is short and uneventful. I hope you are able to smile confidently and be happy eventually. I know it will not be easy getting there.

Kathy V said...

Ann, I am so sorry you had to go through that. It depends on my mood of the day but most times I don't want to hear about third hand stories of people who had a loss and then quickly conceived again. If the person who suffered a loss is telling me, then I am generally more receptive to the story. I don't want to hear about it from a person that didn't experience it themselves and is an outsider looking in. So I am sorry she didn't just smile and drop the subject after you told her you weren't ready to hear it. Also after having to untell half of my church after the miscarriage, next time around I am not going to tell anybody until later. Immediate family will be told after a heartbeat is confirmed and everybody else will just have to find out way later or when they figure it out because I can't hide it anymore. I understand exactly why you are cautious. You do what is right for you. Hang in there.

Mrs. Spit said...

Argh.

God - save us from people who need to "fix it" or make it better. My baby is dead, even a susbequent pregnancy doesn't fix this tragedy. Nothing fixes it. There is no "fix". Our children are dead and we have to come to terms with a new world. I am learning to laugh at the astoundingly stupid things people say to me. It takes some of the sting away.

I know my perinatal loss support group has a group to go to when you are pregnant again. I suspect these families would understand that multitude of emotions. Sorry if this advice has been repeated to you ad naseum. I think you'll do what's best for you and M. I will pray that the rawness receds.

Kami said...

It's an old story - people just don't get it unless they have lived it. I don't think I will ever count on this one living. Even afterbirth, I will probably still wonder.

Anonymous said...

You are pregnant.... You have lots to be thankful for, unlike those of us that are not...

Geohde said...

The nurses response you got is kind of why I usually just don't say anything about my prior pregnancy.

It's tough for both participants in a conversation like that, I feel uncomfortable with the platitudes (and like you also think how the eff do they know this preg will be normal when I don't!), and they never really know what to say and so feel awkward.

Looking forward to when YOU feel good and ready to smile and discuss your pregnancy.

J

Ashleigh said...

I get this- I honestly have debated not telling anyone until the baby is actually here (that is if i make it to that point)...........