A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

How I'm feeling--5w2d

In answer to Ms. C’s question on my last post, I thought I’d give you the rundown on how I’m feeling so far:

1. Boob soreness: My breasts are a bit tender, but only when I poke them. I have to admit it’s reassuring, because I didn’t start feeling the tenderness until after I tested positive.

2. Indigestion: This is probably my worst symptom so far. I’ve always had occasional intestinal problems (read: the need to rush to the bathroom for an unspecified amount of time), but I’m having them more often now. We tailgated at a baseball game on Saturday, and I found myself feeling absolutely miserable in a ballpark bathroom. Ugh.

3. Food cravings/aversion: I still get hungry, but my tolerance for food is getting much narrower. I simply can’t handle eating a big meal like I could before, and my favorite foods don’t necessarily sound appetizing. My first craving? As we watched a musical (“Sweet Charity”) on Sunday night, I couldn’t get Taco Bell off my mind. We stopped there on the way home, and I was incredibly (unreasonably) upset because they were so slow. When M finally got our order, they gave me a Chalupa instead of a burrito! I angrily went to the counter and practically threw the Chalupa at them, not thinking about the fact that M might still want to eat the Chalupa while we were waiting for the burrito. Um, I might have been just a tad crazy that night. Which brings me to…

4. Mood swings: This is a recent development in the past few days. I come home from work angry at M, and he hasn’t even done anything yet. I sat in my windowless office yesterday morning and felt like I was going to scream. I cry at the drop of a hat. It feels like I’m on Clomid. Only, this time, I’m under the influence for EIGHT MONTHS!

5. Listlessness: I feel like I can’t get anything done at work. I have no desire to accomplish anything. I swear I’m not a lazy person, and I’m not totally freaking out about miscarriage every second, but the workday seems so long, and the week seems neverending. I also feel a bit tired more often, but I’m not sure how much of that is in my head.

The hard part about listing these symptoms is that some of them could be psychosomatic. You know what I’m talking about—I know that I’m pregnant, so my mind tells my body it’s OK to be completely INSANE. And, of course, there’s part of me that wonders if any of this—including the pregnancy—is real at all, or if I’m just in some elaborate fantasy.

Let me be clear: I am not complaining. I have just learned that even once you achieve your heart’s desire, your hormones still find plenty of things in life that bother them. Our bodies are not programmed to be completely, deliriously happy.

8 comments:

ggop said...

Oh wow! That was a good honest discussion of symptoms :-D
Friends just politely say "I feel tired." when I ask them how they are doing in the first trimester.
gg

MrsSpock said...

Thanks for the list of symptoms- i am now nearing the end of the 2ww and analyzing every possible symptom...just...can't ...stop...self...

Carrie said...

It is difficult not to find something to worry about, huh?
It all sounds good though. Surely it will be easier soon :-)

ultimatejourney said...

Yup, I'm experiencing some of those too (and some others not listed.) But I'm definitely not complaining. Just looking forward to the end of the first trimester :)

Samantha said...

It is definitely tough not find something to worry about. I also appreciate hearing the gory details of early pregnancy symptoms. Let's face it: just because we all want to get pregnant so badly doesn't make having uncomfortable symptoms any easier!

Kristen said...

Mmmm...Taco Bell was a FAVORITE of mine when I was pregnant with Snowflake. Anything salty really. Loved it!

Geohde said...

Do you know I though I didn't have a single symptom when I was pregnant, or that I was imagining them.

But in retrospect they were the biological equivalent of a great big flashing light on my head, complete with siren, screaming KNOCKED UP!

It all sounds promising.

Nearlydawn said...

Symptoms seem to come and go for me, but it seems I've had them all at one point or the other over the last 2 wks.

Hope you are getting through these days as well as you can! Good luck on your 1st US, should be coming up pretty soon now!