A tale of PCOS, infertility, love, life and trying to adapt to the curveballs life throws at us

Monday, July 16, 2007

The fat lady never sang

As you all know, I was intensely disappointed upon getting a BFN at 12DPO. But I moved on fairly quickly, already looking forward to the next cycle. I started getting more pronounced AF symptoms toward the end of last week (a teensy bit of spotting and enough cramping that I had to ask for a Tylenol at our family reunion), so I prepared myself with pads and Tampons wherever I went. Assuming a 14-day luteal phase, my period should have come on Saturday—in the midst of the family reunion.

But it didn’t.

By late Sunday morning, I still hadn’t had much more spotting. I pulled M into our tent (sounds kind of romantic, doesn’t it?) and told him my concerns. One of three things was happening, I said. Either 1) my period was just being a pain in the ass and ruining my timing for the next cycle; 2) I had another pesky corpus luteal cyst; or 3) I was pregnant. I couldn’t even imagine No. 3.

We left after lunch so I could make it to a baby shower. M dropped me off and amused himself for a couple of hours while I made a Herculean effort not to drink much or pee. I would, I told myself, stop at a Target on the way home and pick up a pregnancy test. Just in case. (A side note: The baby shower was not annoying or tear-inducing; just a nice little tribute to the mom-to-be.)

I picked up my little package from Target and headed into the bathroom. I had to pee so badly, I told M, I didn’t want to wait till we got home. In the bathroom, I dutifully POASed and placed the stick on the toilet paper rack upside down, all the while thinking to myself how futile this was. By this point, I suspected I had a cyst. Then, I wiped—and saw more brownish gunk than I had yet seen that weekend. “How ironic,” I thought, “I get my period right after I POAS. What a waste of money.” Confident that I had a BFN, I turned it over.

And a + stared me right in the face. No doubt about it. (This is what the folks in the newspaper business call "burying the lead.")

I waited until we got in the car to show M, my hands shaking, tears running down my face. How could this possibly be?

I got my beta today. 150.8 at 17DPO. Another beta is scheduled for Wednesday morning.

This is real.

And to think, I thought it was over at 12DPO…

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for your BFP--I hope it sticks! What a lesson in not giving up.

May said...

Well, this is just the coolest thing ever! All appendages crossed here for an appropriate doubling time!!

Wahoo!

megan said...

very nice! congratulations!

Laura, the (reluctant) baroness said...

WOOHOO! Congratulations! Grow, baby!! Let us know how things go. . .

Schatzi said...

Fantastic! Congratulations to you and dh. Fingers crossed for your next beta!

Geohde said...

Holy crap!

Congratulations!

There's so much fertility around the IF traps lately, I can only hope that it's contagious.

ultimatejourney said...

ANN!!!! OMG, I'm so excited for you! Congratulations! Another IFer gets the long-awaited result! I am so, so thrilled for you.

Erin said...

Wow - that is so great! Congrats! Yet another reason to love Target!

JF said...

Congratulations and good luck for Wednesday!

ms. c said...

OMG OMG OMG! So freaking exciting!
(you see, if it could happen to me, it can very well happen to you.)
Hoping for all the best, Ann!!

Leah said...

WAHOO, congratulations!!!

Natalie said...

Holy f*! Congrats!!!!

Fat Girl said...

Congratulations! That is definitely a wonderful surprise!!!! Yeah!!!!

Anonymous said...

There is only one word to describe this: AWESOME!!!!! Femara rocks!!!! SUPER CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know I was not the only one P(ing)OAS at Target!!! Too funny!! LOL
Lisa

hammygirl said...

That's fantastic! Congratulations!

ggop said...

Wow, a lot of good luck circulating among the blogs :-)
Couldn't be happier for you! Congratulations!!
gg

Carrie said...

That's great news, Ann. Really great!!
What a surprise. It is odd the way it happens sometimes.
Take care x

carrie said...

Woo Hoo!! Great news! I also had a negative at 12dpo, but didn't want to comment before since I figured you didn't want any of those overly optimistic stories :) But I have been hoping that it was just too early to test for you and I am SO happy for you!! YAY!!

Pamela T. said...

This is without a doubt the summer of conception. Very happy for you (and I'm not just saying that!) Good to know that success isn't always elusive.

In Search of Morning Sickness said...

Oh my gosh!!! And NATURALLY Too! What a story!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!! You're an inspiration to us all!!! I love how the story was so FAR from over at 12 dpo!

MrsSpock said...

SQUEEEEEEEEEE! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

Ann, I am so incredibly happy for you!! I can't wait to hear the results of your next beta! :)

Esperanza said...

Congrats!

Michael Evans said...

Wow! Great post, you made my day.

Anonymous said...

Holy happy news! Congratulations!

Mama Bear said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful surprise!

Samantha said...

Woo hoo for you! I'm so glad the test 12 DPO ended up being premature!

carrie said...

Keeping my fingers crossed that the beta number just keeps on rising!! Update us and let us know!